• SherlockH
    When you sell your soul to the devil you will gain reward. Though success through these methods require a fee. You are trading in your soul. Sometimes selling to the devil is the only way to get ahead as all other avenue are hopeless. In such a situation is it right to be unhappy with losing your entire self in the process? (Im being figurative)
  • Hanover
    I believe the answer to the rhetorical question of Mathew 16:26 of "What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul, or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" is nothing.
  • 0 thru 9
    “Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty cents.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe

"How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June. . . . If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that-for that-I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!" Chapter 2, pg. 29

“His unreal and selfish love would yield to some higher influence, would be transformed into some nobler passion, and the portrait that Basil Hallward had painted of him would be a guide to him through life, would be to him what holiness is to some, and conscience to others, and the fear of God to us all. There were opiates for remorse, drugs that could lull the moral sense to sleep. But here was a visible symbol of the degradation of sin. Here was an ever-present sign of the ruin men brought upon their souls." Chapter 8, pg. 108

- Oscar Wilde, from The Picture of Dorian Gray, previous two quotes.
  • T Clark
    "What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul, or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"Hanover

• 0 thru 9

That is a wonderfully deep Simpsons episode, maybe my all-time fav. (Also, just a little notice that one of our esteemed Mods (peace be upon them), perhaps has a quick finger on the delete button for posts with only supposedly irrelevant videos in serious threads. At least it happened to me once. No biggie, just for your infotainment. :razz: )
  • T Clark
    That is a wonderfully deep Simpsons episode, maybe my all-time fav. (Also, just a little notice that one of our esteemed Mods (peace be upon them), perhaps has a quick finger on the delete button for posts with only supposedly irrelevant videos in serious threads. At least it happened to me once. No biggie, just for your infotainment. :razz: )0 thru 9

The first 15 seasons of The Simpsons were as good as anything that has ever been on television. I rarely laugh out loud at anything, and I laughed out loud numerous times in most episodes. I can't watch more than about 10 minutes anymore.

Anyway, my clip is as relevant as your hoity-toity Oscar Wilde quotes.
  • 0 thru 9

It was just a heads up, in case of deletion of your post, which as mentioned happened to me. Not a judgment of any kind, dear sir. Tried to make that clear; apologies if it failed. Thanks nevertheless.
  • T Clark
    It was just a heads up, in case of deletion of your post, which as mentioned happened to me. Not a judgment of any kind, dear sir. Tried to make that clear; apologies if it failed. Thanks nevertheless.0 thru 9

Sorry. I wasn't being annoyed. I was trying to be funny. So, it was me who failed, not you.
  • 0 thru 9

:up: Ha! The dry humor flew right by me unnoticed. Must be the humidity!
    Is not problem. Now us drink vodka! (an example of wet humor). :lol:

Anyway, about the thread topic... how about those that sold their soul... for rock and roll?
  • BC
    I put my soul up for auction and was disappointed that the highest bid was still below the minimum.
  • Baden
    (

And let's not forget :

"I, JOHANN FAUSTUS, Dr.,

Do publicly declare with mine own hand in covenant & by power of these presents:

Whereas, mine own spiritual faculties having been exhaustively explored (including the gifts dispensed from above and graciously imparted to me), I still cannot comprehend;

And whereas, it being my wish to probe further into the matter, I do propose to speculate upon the Elementa;

And whereas mankind doth not teach such things;

Now therefore have I summoned the spirit who calleth himself Mephostophiles, a servant of the Hellish Prince in Orient, charged with informing and instructing me, and agreeing against a promissory instrument hereby transferred unto him to be subservient and obedient to me in all things.

I do promise him in return that, when I be fully sated of that which I desire of him, twenty-four years also being past, ended and expired, he may at such a time and in whatever manner or wise pleaseth him order, ordain, reign, rule and possess all that may be mine: body, property, flesh, blood, etc., herewith duly bound over in eternity and surrendered by covenant in mine own hand by authority and power of these presents, as well as of my mind, brain, intent, blood and will.

I do now defy all living beings, all the Heavenly Host and all mankind, and this must be.

In confirmation and contract whereof I have drawn out mine own blood for certification in lieu of a seal.

Doctor Faustus, Adept in the Elementa and in Church Doctrine."
  • Liar Lyre

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde

I saw your Wilde and I counter with this. The quote presents the concept of the dreamer who can only find his way by the light if the moon. He attempts to convey the dreamer's hopefulness as a mystical presence like the moon. The punishment, however, is that he must face reality and look at the dawn which he cannot overcome. The dreamers and the hopeful are nothing towards the system we have constructed for ourselves. A sad truth in all honesty.
  • 0 thru 9
    The countless flora and fauna of the soul needs both the Yin and Yang. Sometimes the bustle and brightness of a summer day, sometime a cool dark night. The balance points, like sunrise or a mild autumn day are a pleasant relief. But win or lose, hot or cold, bland or spicy; it’s all fodder for the psyche.
  • BlueBanana
    In such a situation is it right to be unhappy with losing your entire self in the process?SherlockH

Is it right to be happy? I think a person has a moral responsibility for themselves so selling one's soul is just wrong.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.