• Harry Hindu
    Wikipedia has a list of LFs. I assume SE does also. I just threw Plato in. According to Wikipedia, Aristotle was the first to systematize fallacies, so I should have used him instead.T Clark
    Again, I provided another link. How about it?

For me, making sure my reasoning is sound is not accomplished by labeling an argument, it's by thinking it through and spelling out my thoughts.T Clark
    You seem to misunderstand the use of the logical fallacy terms. They are used to label the unsound reasoning in others' arguments, not your own. You simply try to avoid the unsound reasoning that those labels refer to. I already said pretty much the same in the rest of the post you replied to. You don't need others to label your unsound reasoning if you error-check your reasoning yourself.
  • T Clark
    Again, I provided another link. How about it?Harry Hindu

Do you mean this link?
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/.
    How is that different from any other list of fallacies?
  • Harry Hindu
    I don't think science is any closer to objectivity or truth than lots of other ways of seeing things. In fact, it's further away than some because it tries to give the illusion of objectivity where none exists. — T Clark

How about providing one of those "ways" of seeing things that is more objective than science. — Harry Hindu

I don't think an objective way of seeing things exists. The problem is that science pretends to be one. — T Clark
    Harry Hindu

I think my response to your comment answered that question.T Clark
    You response contradicts your earlier statement, which is why I asked for clarification.

Is that what objectivity means - experiences which are consistent with other experiences? If so, I would have no problem, but that's not how the term is generally used.T Clark
    Obviously you aren't consistent. Refer to the above exchange.

Do you mean this link?
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/.
    How is that different from any other list of fallacies?
    T Clark
    You said that BitterCrank's list was too long. I asked you to compare the link I provided with what BitterCrank provided. Aren't you paying attention, or are you more interested in being obtuse because the conversation isn't going where you like?
  • T Clark
    Obviously you aren't consistent.Harry Hindu

Aren't you paying attention, or are you more interested in being obtuse because the conversation isn't going where you like?Harry Hindu

I read through the quotes from my previous posts you provided. I don't see anything inconsistent. Also, I'm enjoying this conversation and am satisfied where it is going.
  • Harry Hindu
    I read through the quotes from my previous posts you provided. I don't see anything inconsistent. Also, I'm enjoying this conversation and am satisfied where it is going.T Clark
    Blind and inconsistent? Sorry, I can't perform miracles.
  • T Clark
    Blind and inconsistent? Sorry, I can't perform miracles.Harry Hindu

This is great! You're a brilliant philosopher and teacher!! You've written a nasty, snotty post just so we can argue about whether or not it's an ad hominem attack. Or maybe it's the Fallacy of Abuse. I'm going to go with ad hominem, since you seem to be making a direct connection between my negative personal qualities and the truth of my position.

What do other people think?
  • Harry Hindu
    This is great! You're a brilliant philosopher and teacher!! You've written a nasty, snotty post just so we can argue about whether or not it's an ad hominem attack. Or maybe it's the Fallacy of Abuse. I'm going to go with ad hominem, since you seem to be making a direct connection between my negative personal qualities and the truth of my position.

What do other people think?
    T Clark

More inconsistencies. I thought you said that we should dispense with the terms and argue the points. Go figure.

An observation of your inability to answer questions that would clarify previous posts isn't "nasty" except to those for which the truth hurts. All of this would have been avoided had you simply been intellectually honest and answered the question as asked.
  • T Clark
    An observation of your inability to answer questions that would clarify previous posts isn't "nasty" except to those for which the truth hurts. All of this would have been avoided had you simply been intellectually honest and answered the question as asked.Harry Hindu

Oh, Harry. You're so cute. I just want to give you a big hug.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.