• 0 thru 9
    In praise of moaning... (within certain parameters and such... :smile: )

Of great interest to me over some years has been (what one could call) human pre-verbal sounds. The sounds themselves and their relationship to both emotional and physical balance, and even illness. The visceral need to moan, groan, hum, whimper, sigh, or purr is sometimes quite cathartic. This seems related to the general sounds associated with the emotions. Anger - yelling, sadness - crying, happiness - laughing. It is possible that the groan constitutes an additional fourth category, such as pain - groaning. Or perhaps, moaning and such are some even deeper version of preverbal sound that can take on characteristics of yelling, crying, laughing, and anything in between or even beyond.

The occasion of hearing a recording of the chanting of Tibetan monks awakened an interest in such topics. Tuvan throat singing has similar qualities. On further investigation, I found that this area had a whole school of yoga devoted to it: Nada yoga. The somewhat controversial primal scream therapy seems to be part of the picture. But I am not very familiar with its specifics. Also relevant is the general topic of music theory, but the aim here is more therapeutic than artistic. But there is definitely some overlap.

The theories and traditions are all very interesting, and provide a little background and context. But there is no substitute for actually allowing oneself to let the sounds out. The non-verbal nature of “moaning therapy” (for lack of a better term) is its defining quality. This gives it its deep and primal feeling. However, it could present somewhat of a mental block. Since the sounds may have no specific meaning, they might be construed as therefore “meaningless” or just silly. I guess you just have to jump in the pool and try it out, to see if there are any benefits. One may feel self-conscious about it, which is understandable. I try not to scare the neighbors with loud wails :scream: ... a little sonic privacy is a wonderful thing!

I feel that most of us are walking around carrying the burden of strong feelings. Feelings without name or perhaps even a definite cause. By allowing the expression of these feelings, one may experience a sense of relief. In my experience, it seems doing so often keeps me from blaming my feelings on others and outside events. I find it better to not even worry about naming the feeling, let alone blaming someone for it. Just letting it out, like some kind of psychological gas bubble, is enough! Perhaps by letting it all out, one can let other things in. Like peace of mind, for instance. And it may need you to spend some time, but you need not spend a cent to get some benefit.

Please share your thoughts and experiences related to this practice. What methods do you use? Has it helped? Or share any links to articles or studies of such therapies. Thank you very much for reading. Sigh on, you crazy diamond... and give peace a chants! :victory: :wink:
  • 0 thru 9
    So what (I hear no one asking :snicker: ) is the instrumental counterpart to the healing and therapeutic groans and moans mentioned above? Drones, of course! There is a parallel and complementary nature to both.

• 0 thru 9

Holy #&@%! Wow. That Sufi Zikr video... I’d seen the Dervishes before, but not that kind of circlar group dance. Thanks enormously for sharing that. Have you participated in something like that? I don’t know what in the world that was; but that is the kind of thing I was referring to, taken to a group level. It’s like watching a human roller coaster. One cannot imagine feeling isolated or depressed after participating in (or even watching) such a ritual. Has to be quite a physical workout as well. I’m going to look for the nearest group of Sufis. :blush:
  • 0 thru 9
    :up: Thanks for the background information on it! Very interesting, gotta look up more. Sad to think that such a seemingly uplifting thing might be viewed as political or even dangerous by some. Especially when people seem to need something uplifting to bring them together. Troubled times we live in.
  • 0 thru 9
    As in the case of dhikr, in anastenaria most of the sounds are meaningful phrases but it seems to me that their function is beyond the usual cognitive level. Hence my question on my first post if it counts as verbal or pre-verbal.Πετροκότσυφας

Yes, I would agree in that situation the sounds seem to be “loaded” with some kind of meaning beyond the usual. So I would say it is both verbal and transverbal, or beyond words. What that means exactly is hard to define. But that probably should not come as a surprise! What the exact differences are between emotional expression and a spiritual experience is also difficult for me to define in my own life, let alone elsewhere. There might be overlap between the two. Like emotions are the color red, and spiritual nature and feeling is the color blue. In between are countless shades of violet and purple.

Thanks for sharing that.
  • 0 thru 9

On the more musical side, but features vocalizing such as discussed above. Simple, but deep.
    Mystifying how those sounds are made. Trying not to injure myself attempting it! :gasp: :lol:
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Check out some Inuit throat singing.
  • 0 thru 9
    :up: Definitely. Makes me want to move to Alaska, or would if the ice weren’t melting.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.