• Belter
    I think that the "empirical" truths (which state "A"), are a subset of the "possible" ones (that state "A" or "not-A"), and these are a subset of the "contingent" truths (which are the non-necessary ones, i.e, the truths whose denial does not led to a contradiction).
    Then, regarding "A", we can to define the "empirical" truth as "A", the "possible" one as "A or not-A" and the "necessary" one as "If not-A then B and not-B".
    Where do you think the analysis fails?

• MindForged
    It fails where you say possible truths are a subset of the contingent ones. Possibility encapsulates contingency.
  • Owen

It is false to say 'possible A' claims 'A or not A'.
    It is false to say 'A or not A' is contingent.

'A or not A' is tautologous, necessarily true.
  • Belter
    I resume my idea with other words:

"A" is necessarily true iff "not-A -> (B and not-B)"
    "A" is possible true iff "A or not-A" is true
    "A" is empirically true iff "A" is true

What fails in these definitions?
  • OwenAccepted Answer

1."A" is necessarily true iff "not-A -> (B and not-B)", is invalid.
    It fails when "A" is necessarily true if "not-A -> (B and not-B)".

(not-A -> (B and not-B)) iff A, is a theorem.
    (not-A -> (B and not-B)) iff necessary A, is not a theorem.

2. "A" is possible true iff "A or not-A" is true
    A or -A, is true for all values of A. Possible A is false when a is A contradiction.

3. "A" is empirically true iff "A" is true.
    False, 'B or not-B' is true and 'B or not-B' is not empirical.
  • Belter
    They are (informal) definitions, so their true is established a priori.
    I want to say that a "unnecessary" conclusion can be "invalid" in two ways ("possibly" and "impossibly" true). MP inference is a valid scheme (necessary), AC is invalid but "possible" and MT asymmetric (to infer "A") is "impossible" to be true.
    If something is not necessary, then it is contingent; if contingent, it can be possible and impossible. If it possible, also it can be "real" or "empirically" true.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.