• Tomseltje
    On my view, facts are events. Events cannot be false. I proposed having a set of facts that everyone agrees to. The agreement doesn't make them facts. The agreement makes them uncontroversial.creativesoul

Sure, events cannot be false, however when we think we observe an event, we don't know wether we actually observe an event, or are just delusional or hallucinating. Hence human reports of events are not nessesarily consistent with the events, but we can only discuss human reports of events. To treat those as facts, means that we already apply the axiom that the human reports of events can be treated as facts as if enough humans provide the samer report of events.
  • creativesoul
    Facts cannot be false.

Do you agree?
  • creativesoul
    however when we think we observe an event, we don't know wether we actually observe an event, or are just delusional or hallucinating.Tomseltje

I'm curious to see what criterion you've employed for knowledge. If we could not know then there would be no difference in the meaning of the words describing those three possibilities. But there is such a difference, and we know that difference, so thus... we do.
  • creativesoul
    A delusional creature does not know it is delusional. It does not follow from that that others cannot tell whether or not they act the same way.

:wink:
  • creativesoul
    Take your pick...

:cool:
  • creativesoul
    ...human reports of events are not nessesarily consistent with the events, but we can only discuss human reports of events...Tomseltje

Everything is human report?

Nah. Horrible form of monism...
  • creativesoul
    To treat those as facts, means that we already apply the axiom that the human reports of events can be treated as facts as if enough humans provide the samer report of events.Tomseltje

Well, if we mixed our frameworks(axioms?)...

Strictly speaking from my own, human reports are statements about the facts. Statements can be true/false. Facts cannot.
  • Tomseltje
    Strictly speaking from my own, human reports are statements about the facts. Statements can be true/false. Facts cannot.creativesoul

But all we talk about are human reports. What I say is my report to you, what you say is your report to me. Humans use their senses to observe the world, but there is not a 100% guarantee they will accurately represent what is happening 100% of the time. Alcohol can make you see more things than that are actually there for instance.

Are you familiar with the evil genius concept in classic philosophy? Or the movie the matrix?
  • Tomseltje
    Everything is human report?

Nah. Horrible form of monism...
    creativesoul

Such an obvious strawman, really? I didn't say everything is human report, I said everything discussed is human report, there is a difference.
  • creativesoul
    I discuss trees. Trees are a part of everything discussed. Therefore, not everything discussed is human report.
  • creativesoul
    But all we talk about are human reports. What I say is my report to you, what you say is your report to me.Tomseltje

I talk about trees.
  • Tomseltje
    I discuss trees. Trees are a part of everything discussed. Therefore, not everything discussed is human report.creativesoul

Nope, to discuss is to report, and you don't know about trees, you merely know about your concept of trees. Hence you report about your concept of trees.
  • TheMadFool
    Guiliani may be a lawyer:lol:
  • creativesoul

What's that over there------------------>

Looks like a tree to me. My conception is made out of language and stuff. The tree is not. Conceptions can be wrong. Trees cannot.
  • creativesoul
    Humans use their senses to observe the world, but there is not a 100% guarantee they will accurately represent what is happening 100% of the time.Tomseltje

So, the argument is we can be certain that it is possible for us to be mistaken, therefore...

What?
  • Tomseltje
    Looks like a tree to me. My conception is made out of language and stuff. The tree is not. Conceptions can be wrong. Trees cannot.creativesoul

All that tells me is that what you are looking at fits with your conception of a tree, under the assumption your report is an honest one. The fact that conceptions can be 'wrong' or at least, can differ from person to person, it's by no means a guarantee that your report of witnessing a tree will cause me to see a tree when I look at the same thing. Since I could have a different concept of what a tree is, and event though I look at the same thing, it may not fit my concept. If such a difference occurs, it can be usefull to elaborate on each others concept, so both of us get the oppertunity expand our concepts of things.
  • Tomseltje
    So, the argument is we can be certain that it is possible for us to be mistaken, therefore...creativesoul

Therefore we can only talk about our concept of something, not about the actual something itself. This even goes for ourselves. We can only talk about how we perceive ourselves, not about our actual self. This difference is one of the causes of the dunning-kruger effect. If we would know our actual self, rather than just know our perception of our self, the dunning-kruger effect would not exist.
  • creativesoul
    We're not looking at a concept. We're looking at a tree. In normal parlance we're not talking about our concept of a tree, we're talking about the tree. You and I can talk about our conceptions. We can compare them to each others' and the tree(your aforementioned "same thing").

Your position is untenable, perhaps. I'm being reminded of Kant's Noumena.
  • Dalai Dahmer
    You're lost brother. Go pick on someone smaller. I'll kick your ass. That's my MO. As I've already said, your posts are an exercise in spotting fallacy in the wild.creativesoul

Oh dear. You just lost IT right there by pretending to be threatening. Don't look now, your consciousness is showing.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.