• Marcus de Brun

Lib tard?

What does it matter ...left wing or right wing.. This is a philosophy forum. Truth is the shared objective. Do you find comfort in hiding behind labels? If you have a point ... Then find the courage to make it.
    M
  • raza
    What does it matter ...left wing or right wing.Marcus de Brun

Matter? Wings? It is merely an observation combined with a joke.
  • Marcus de Brun

I am equally unsure, but it does seem that Schopenhauer's 'will' is synonymous with instinct. If this be so then much philosophy is predicated upon an understanding of human instinct.
  • Marcus de Brun

Absolutely not offended, but more interested in your Philosophy?

I think philosophy can be a bigger laugh, as ultimately we are trying to figure out if the 'universal joke' is either within us or upon us :)
  • Shawn

It sounds like a trite truism; but, it's undeniably true.
  • raza
    Absolutely not offended, but more interested in your Philosophy?Marcus de Brun

My philosophy? What do you mean by “philosophy” when you apply it as being a thing of someone’s?

Are you able to answer as to whether you have a particular philosophy?
  • Marcus de Brun
    you are indeed right, I do not 'have' A philosophy. If indeed I exist beyond this notion of a self by which I am presently beguiled, it would be more correct to suggest that Philosophy has 'me'.

Nonetheless, within the context of this ongoing dialogue, and in a semantic sort of way, I would (and do) assert that I have a philosophy. If we apply the caveat that this 'philosophy', declares only a certain manner of discourse; one that is somewhat sublime and deeper than the superficial discourse that is generally applied to: things systems and ideas.

In this sense, l believe I do posses a philosophy of: self, of things, and of certain systems that I have formal knowledge of.

So, the short answer is yes. I do indeed have a philosophy. All that l am uncertain of is the suspicion that l also have a 'self'.

M
  • raza

You say you are interested in my philosophy. Is this not the same thing as asking me what my philosophy is?
  • raza
    Because it is about what you want to maintain as your belief.
  • Marcus de Brun
    You say you are interested in my philosophy. Is this not the same thing as asking me what my philosophy is?raza

No not at all. I suspect there is a distinction between your 'Philosophy' and that which is your philosophical view or consideration upon a subject, vis the subject at hand. You have not shared your own philosophy on the subject, merely joined the current thread with a joke about lib-tard (an admittedly funny joke) as yet you have offered no philosophical input?

I must certainly admit that I am rather fond of my own philosophical opinions, but do try not to let my fondness for myself, override the philosophy of others, if I can see that philosophy, and if it has some merit at least as I see it.

You have yet to share, on this particular topic.

M
  • raza
    Well I don’t invest in a philosophy. So many overlap, good point here and there, other points useless.

“Philosophical” is another matter. An action rather than intellectual masturbation (like, as you say, “fondleness of self”).
  • Marcus de Brun
    Sometimes masturbation is easier.

Less potential complications, cheaper by far, and readily accessible, particularly so for the ambidextrous.

To continue the metaphor one must ask then, are you merely here to watch others 'masturbate' rather than join in the fun, if so voyeurism might be a little more unhealthy than jumping in and getting ones hands dirty, so to speak.

M
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.