• Jake
    In another thread which has been discussed...

Yes, I was serious. No, I wasn't playing a clever little philosophical gotcha game, not that I'm opposed to such.

What I failed to do is properly prepare the ground I was attempting to plant a new idea upon. Though upon observing the mod team in action, and reading the reviews of the thread and mod action, I'm guessing that probably wouldn't have mattered. Anyway, moving along...

The reason I was serious, which I didn't adequately explain, is this...

I believe the marriage of violent men and an ever accelerating knowledge explosion is going to lead to the collapse of civilization if we remain on the present status quo course. This can't be proven, and is clearly debatable, but that is my view.

From that perspective, the pending collapse of civilization is seen as a revolutionary situation of some urgency (it could literally happen today) requiring some response other than continuing to do the same things we've always done. Whether the idea I floated is the correct response is also clearly debatable, which is why I came to a philosophy forum, to debate it.

In the current context I totally agree, and have already stated, that the proposal I floated is fairly labeled a crackpot idea. As I tried to explain, if we could find world peace within the set of ideas which are considered normal, reasonable, sane etc, we would already have world peace. Thus, an exploration of the crackpot idea realm seems warranted.

What members are not taking in to account is that the current cultural context where such ideas appear to be crackpot ideas is not going to last forever. Imho, sooner or later somebody is going to do something like set off a nuke in a large city, and then the cultural context is going to change. As example, consider the response to 9/11, two wars costing trillions, round the clock media coverage for months etc.

In the current context, most people perceive a possible collapse of civilization in an abstract intellectual type manner, if they think about it at all. Once the first nuke goes off that relationship is going to change from abstract to personal, from intellectual to emotional. And when that happens large numbers of people are going to want a solution, and they're going to want it right now.

Point being, I'm typing to you from that future context to where you are in the current context. I get that you can't see what's coming, which after discussing this for a decade I understand to be completely normal. I'm not under the illusion (though I used to be) that we can avoid this coming change through a process of reason, as the threads being discussed here prove yet again. I now accept that the big event is going to have to happen first before we will be able to get our minds around the revolutionary situation the knowledge explosion has created.

So, I am serious, but I do accept that my activity on this subject is largely pointless. I'm just discussing this because it's all I know how to do, and it provides me with the illusion that I am making a difference.

I accept the mods decision without complaint. It's their forum to operate as they choose, I'm totally agreeable to that. But I also have to face that our interests just don't overlap. That's life, and the net is a big place, so no worries.
  • Baden

Well, the mod team were split on it. But if you were totally serious, there is a reasonable argument to be made that it contravened the guidelines. Anyhow, I accept your intentions were not malicious here and wish you the best whether you choose to stay around or not.
  • unenlightened
    Yes, I thought the moderation was a little hasty. Your proposal was no worse than antinatalism, which seems perfectly acceptable here. If there was a singling out of one group, this was at least based on real behaviour, and real genetic and biological difference.

Having said that, it's a silly proposal that could not be implemented without horrors as bad as, or worse than, it seeks to cure. But perhaps a more open question on the ending of violence would be more interesting. An engineered de-aggressing virus is conceivable... I wonder what the morality of that is?
  • 0 thru 9
    Long long ago, oh around 1730 or so, when I was but a young vampyre, I recall that there was an essay called A Modest Proposal written by one Jonathan Swift. It was quite shocking for its time, facetiously proposing that the problems of overpopulation, poverty, and famine could simultaneously be eased by the selling and eating of... (disgusting spoiler alert!) ...children. Scandalous back then, fodder for an animated TV series today. Oh well... such is progress. And by the way, if I recall correctly, Swift himself was quite delicious. His blood was quite the fine red wine. Its ruby rich delight was packed with mouth-watering sumptuousness with hints of bramble, blackberry, boysenberry, and even Frankenberry flourishes. A treat to pair with beef testicles or lamb spleen escabeché. Also was an ideal companion for manic-depression, chicken and/or waffles. Had a greasy cigar box bouquet, and a dirty autumn leaf pile finish. Very rare, but highly recommended! :ok:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I now accept that the big event is going to have to happen first before we will be able to get our minds around the revolutionary situation the knowledge explosion has created.Jake
    Hi Jake!
    I missed the thread in which you are speaking of but as a late comer may I ask you what "big event" you speak of?
  • Jake
    Thanks Baden, appreciate the kind words, same to ya.

Regarding staying or leaving, here's a thought experiment which may assist that calculation.

I'll go set up a forum, and then you come spend a day of your time helping me build it for free. Then, when one of my more hysterical members accuses you of genocide using _repeated_ misrepresentations of your ideas as evidence, I'll erase all your work without warning, explanation, or apology. So, will you be coming back tomorrow to invest another day of your time in to entertaining my members at your own expense?

In the above hypothetical, what actions would I need to take to persuade you to return and keep on helping me build my forum for free?
  • Moliere
    I think you have it backwards. This isn't work, so it's not about being paid. Some people even put money in the pot to help keep the servers running.
  • Baden

Yes, you've got it backwards. The community here offered a place for you to come and spread your ideas for free. Part of that deal is that you accept moderation. If you're not happy with that set-up, sure, go elsewhere.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.