• Buxtebuddha
    ...listen to one style of music for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Bonus: If you could only listen to one artist, composer, or band from your choice of music style, who would it be?

I'd have to pick Baroque for myself, even though I listen to metal more often than not at the moment. My Baroque composer would definitely be Antonio Vivaldi.
    1. If you could only listen to one style of music for the rest of your life, what would it be? (21 votes)
        European Medieval/Renaissance
          0%
        Baroque
        10%
        Classical
        10%
        Romantic
          5%
        Impressionist
          0%
        Modern (≈1900+)
          0%
        Religious Oration/Chants
          5%
        Traditional/Cultural Folk
          5%
        Neofolk
          0%
        Ambient/Synth
          0%
        Drone/Noise
          0%
        Electronic (EDM, Industrial, Techno, etc.)
          0%
        Downtempo
          0%
        Hip-hop
          0%
        Rap
          0%
        R&B/Reggae/Soul
          0%
        Jazz
        14%
        Blues
          5%
        Funk/Disco
          0%
        Classic Rock
        10%
        Alternative/Indie/Post-rock
        10%
        Heavy metal
          0%
        Extreme metal (thrash, death, black, etc.)
          5%
        Punk/Crust/Hardcore
          0%
        Pop
          5%
        Country
        10%
        Avante-garde
          0%
        Elevator/Department store
          0%
        Other (please specify)
          5%
        Nothing (I'm deaf)
          5%
  • T Clark

Ah, country music. The most philosophical music of all.

Lyle Lovett.
  • Artemis
    Hard to choose between classical and jazz, but jazz has more innovation. Everything else...I like plenty of other genres just fine, but would have a problem never hearing a song with more than three chords (if that) again xD
  • Buxtebuddha
    I legitimately debated whether to add it, but I do like Johnny Cash, John Fahey, a couple of others. They're not modern country musicians though.

Hard to choose between classical and jazz, but jazz has more innovation. Everything else...I like plenty of other genres just fine, but would have a problem never hearing a song with more than three chords (if that) again xDNKBJ

See, this is why I made this thread. I think it's pretty difficult to settle on one style because, at least for me, it needs to cover a lot of emotional/musical/aesthetic bases.
  • T Clark
    John FaheyBuxtebuddha

He's more folk than country, which by the way you left out. What the furgle is "neofolk?"
  • Thorongil
    Baroque. It contains the best of everything in some form.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Elevator/ Department store. Don't think so! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • Buxtebuddha
    He's more folk than country, which by the way you left out. What the furgle is "neofolk?"T Clark

I didn't leave it out, I put "Traditional/Cultural Folk." That label I just made up, but I thought you could put lots of different styles under that.

Neofolk is like this:

Reveal
  • Cavacava
    R&B, Ray Charles for me.
  • T Clark
    I didn't leave it out, I put "Traditional/Cultural Folk."Buxtebuddha

Didn't even see that in the list. As for the music you linked, to call that folk of any sort is .... I can't think of a word.

I'll stick with country anyway.
  • BC
    "Classical" is the best choice because, even though it technically does apply to a specific period, it also means everything from medieval to modern--Hildegard of Bingen to Henryk Górecki. Haydn, Mozart, Handel... have to have those three, for sure. Well really, all of them. Sorry, can't narrow it down. It's all good. Except the genre I've never heard of, like "crust". What the hell is "crust"? I've heard some music on the elevator I liked and I'm fond of some disco numbers too. "I want to feel the heat with somebody..."
  • BC
    You don't have broadway musicals on your list. There are people who would die without it. You didn't list music for film or music for video games.

You also don't have band music, as in brass band, concert band. Some people like listening to band music. Some people like to stomp around to Prussian marches.

Neither bluegrass nor bagpipes nor barbershop quartets (shudder) are on your list. I don't see opera. I don't see choral music (a cappella groups like Cantus, the King's Singers, Chanticleer, or the Rose Ensemble...)

You need to get out more.
  • Buxtebuddha
    You don't have broadway musicals on your list. There are people who would die without it. You didn't list music for film or music for video games.

You also don't have band music, as in brass band, concert band. Some people like listening to band music. Some people like to stomp around to Prussian marches.
    Bitter Crank

You can put all of those under Modern.

bluegrass nor bagpipesBitter Crank

These can go under "Religious/Cultural Folk", or Medieval for bagpipes.

choral musicBitter Crank

See "Religious Oration/Chants."

You need to get out more.Bitter Crank

Shaddap Bitter Crust.
  • Baden
    Napalm Death.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I am a Blues Baby!
    B.B. King and Buddy Guy were/are on my "Hall Pass" list.
    My first concert was opening with John Hiatt followed by Buddy Guy and then the King. Good God almighty, it was a 5 hour eargasm that lasted for 6 months.
  • Kitty
    ...listen to one style of music for the rest of your life, what would it be?Buxtebuddha

Classical.

"the rest of your life" is god-awful long in my case. Otherwise I would have chosen another genre.

Bonus: If you could only listen to one artist, composer, or band from your choice of music style, who would it be?Buxtebuddha

Beethoven.
  • Buxtebuddha
    "the rest of your life" is god-awful long in my case. Otherwise I would have chosen another genre.Kitty

Cat lyfe will soon be upon ye, donut worry. What other genre would you have picked if you only live a little while longer?
  • BC
    Shaddap Bitter Crust.Buxtebuddha

Why, you little... Just wait till I get my hands on you!

Look, you have all these alleged "genres" like Ambient/Synth, Drone/Noise, Electronic (EDM, Industrial, Techno, Heavy metal, Extreme metal (thrash, death, black, etc.), and Punk/Crust/Hardcore from the last two or three decades, but 800 years worth of music for voice you lump together under "Religious Oration/Chants".

Look, here is a seduction scene from Don Giovani (at about 2:50) and here is Gregorio Allegri's Miserere from the Good Friday service, and here is Mao's wife in John Adams' Nixon in China. Obviously this can't all fit into "Religious Oration/Chants". You need more categories of music.

And I didn't even touch on Chinese opera, Buddhist monks producing unearthly harmonic overtone singing called Sygyt in Tuva, go here for a sample, African music, Indian music, Gamelan music, Andean flutes, and so on and so forth.
  • Buxtebuddha
    Look, you have all these alleged "genres" like Ambient/Synth, Drone/Noise, Electronic (EDM, Industrial, Techno, Heavy metal, Extreme metal (thrash, death, black, etc.), and Punk/Crust/Hardcore from the last two or three decades, but 800 years worth of music for voice you lump together under "Religious Oration/Chants".Bitter Crank

The differences between Buddhist chants and Gregorian chants are less than differences you find between drone, techno, metal, whatever. Also, I dunno why you wrote "genres" as if they don't exist or aren't real music. I just wanted to make a casual thread about the OP's question, not spark some musicology kerfuffle. Stop being so unfun.

Look, here is a seduction scene from Don Giovani (at about 2:50) and here is Gregorio Allegri's Miserere from the Good Friday service, and here is Mao's wife in John Adams' Nixon in China. Obviously this can't all fit into "Religious Oration/Chants". You need more categories of music.Bitter Crank

I went with broader categories. as your appeal to more categories could and would just go on forever. Besides, if you have a very specific style that answers the OP's question but doesn't fit one of the other categories, then there is the "Other (please specify)" option for a reason.

And I didn't even touch on Chinese opera, Buddhist monks producing unearthly harmonic overtone singing called Sygyt in Tuva, go here for a sample, African music, Indian music, Gamelan music, Andean flutes, and so on and so forth.Bitter Crank

"Traditional/Cultural Folk" is music that goes with a lot of those. And c'mon, how is Buddhist monks producing unearthly harmonic overtone signing not "Religious Oration/Chants."

You're just being a peckerhead, Crank. Please refrain.
  • BC
    Also, I dunno why you wrote "genres" as if they don't exist or aren't real music.Buxtebuddha

Oh dear, the poor boy does have some sensitivities left to be offended about ("") after all the head-banging heavy death thrash metal noise...

unfunBuxtebuddha

Unfun? Teasing you is the most amusing fun, like aggravating the cat or annoying the French (see 1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clarke).
  • deletedmemberwy
    No one picked elevator/ department store music yet!! Y'all are missing out! :yum:
  • Buxtebuddha
    Oh dear, the poor boy does have some sensitivities left to be offended about ("") after all the head-banging heavy death thrash metal noise...Bitter Crank

You can think what you like, but me thinks that...

You need to get out more.Bitter Crank

:ok: :eyes:

Unfun? Teasing you is the most amusing fun, like aggravating the cat or annoying the FrenchBitter Crank

I know you're trolling, but I also know that you can do better :hearts:
  • BC
    Did you know that police and property managers have found that certain kinds of 1950s easy listening elevator (Musak) music (like Montovani and his orchestra) are an effective repellant to loitering teenagers? Baroque music works well for the same purpose.

They run, screaming, from the premises, holding their hands over their ears while they try at the same time to hold their pants up. It's very traumatic for them.

• BC
    I know you're trolling, but I also know that you can do better :hearts:Buxtebuddha

Obviously I don't practice enough.
  • Buxtebuddha
    They run, screaming, from the premises, holding their hands over their ears while they try at the same time to hold their pants up. It's very traumatic for them.Bitter Crank

I play them Liszt.
  • S
    Alternative/Indie/Post-rock :ok:

E.g. Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, Failure, The Strokes, Oasis, Radiohead, Nirvana, Hole, Alanis Morissette.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.