• Corvus
    What is the best English translation for the book?

I have one by Kaufman and also Tillie, but some say that latter one is no good.
    Which one do you have, and do you think does it make difference between different translators?
  • tim wood
    Translations differ. Compare Chapman's, Pope's, and Lattimore's Iliad. Or different translations of the Bible, or poetry - especially poetry.

Best is to read Amazon reviews - keep your salt shaker nearby - along with critical reviews. And translator's prefaces can be informative. If you're able, get different translations from your library and do a quick comparison. Sometimes readability is what matters. Finally, companion books.

In any case, the translation(s) will be different. But exactly how much that matters or should matter quickly becomes a difficult question. After all, you're not original audience. A further point about Nietzsche is that his sister, his executrix, corruptively edited his works. It's worth the forward and preface in any edition you get to see what they say. For starters, though, I'd go with Kaufmann; he was an expert on Nietzsche and his sister's depredations..
  • Corvus
    Yes, Kaufman seems good readability. The other copy with Tillie's translation was in archaic English like that of antique Bible.

Maybe I will need commentaries too? Even Kaufman sounds very poetic rather than Philosophic.
  • Corvus
    This might be helpful.Πετροκότσυφας

Yes, that's great information too. Thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.