• BC
    From the Brexit Discussion:

Lies and misinformation are part of any lively democratic campaign. — mcdoodle

Since none of us are saints, we must judge some degree of all of those unscrupulous things to be worth the involved risk. — Worst

Right. Things like dishonesty. misinformation, misdirection, relevant omissions, and spin. — Bitter Crank

Can't anybody argue using honest information??? — Bitter Crank

Sure you can! If you don't mind losing. — Wosret

Granted, political debates tend not to be the gold standard of of transparent honesty. But that's a failing, not a virtue.

Or not?
  • mcdoodle
    Here's a charming article by some hopeful psychologists who think we may be able to counter misinformation: http://psi.sagepub.com/content/13/3/106

It's not just politics. Philosophers of language have a belief that language is something to do with truth-telling, a puzzle to me as I have tried to raise before in these pages. I know that even my best friends are lying, or putting up a front to avoid truth-telling, some of the time. Talk is only sometimes about truth-telling.

Politicians in a party political system are especially hobbled, because they abide by 'party discipline', although they don't allow trade unions to do so. Quite often therefore a party politician has to argue for something they disbelieve. The effect is corrosive.
  • BC
    Here's a charming article by some hopeful psychologists who think we may be able to counter misinformation...mcdoodle

There is a great deal of intentional misinformation, unintentional misinformation, and fairly serious misunderstanding for many topics.

Take nutritional supplements:

Contrary to the assertion of a 'science writer' in a respectable newspaper, we do know all, or at least, most of the nutrients required for normal health. (She maintained we don't.) What we don't know is whether extra amounts of any given nutrient (like C, A, Zinc...) are beneficial or harmful. There are tons of anecdotal information available, pro and con--mostly pro-supplement, and lots of research--mostly inconclusive in the final analysis.

Still, doctors, dietitians, public health professionals, pharmacists, and so on pass on information about nutrition which they do not know to be true, and/or which they may know to be unsettled. A large study showed that taking large doses of Vitamin A increased the incidence of lung cancer. Not good. Other studies had showed benefit. WTF?

At least many health people are relatively honest. People who sell a wide range of nutritional supplements really can't be honest, unless they answered "I don't know" or "No one knows" to most questions about the stuff they sell. Obviously, "Who the hell knows?" is not a response which will drive sales. What it will do is drive customers out of the store.

""Nutritional" supplement" sales are generally healthy. It's a business that rests on outright lies, unintended misinformation, and wishful thinking.

Well, the point I am trying to make is that there are liars for sure, but there are also very gullible buyers who believe outlandish claims on the basis of rhetoric rather than evidence.
  • mcdoodle
    Well, the point I am trying to make is that there are liars for sure, but there are also very gullible buyers who believe outlandish claims on the basis of rhetoric rather than evidence.Bitter Crank

It's another axiom of philosophy of language: the listener usually wants to make some sort of sense of what the speaker is uttering, and that may involve wide-eyed generosity.

But then, some of us are wise to that. Then there are second- and third-order illusionists, who play ironic games with their audiences. So there's a host of advertising that is knowing about mere information, that makes fun of others-not-us who are gullible, but then subtly sells snake-oil to us via this more devious route.
  • BC
    Which we, non-gullible intellectual types who are in the know, none-the-less buy.

I understand how it works, I know better, but sometimes I want it, and am willing to part with a piece of gold to get it. And sometimes, even, am happy with it now that I have got it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.