• Dogar
    Hi everyone. I'm well out of my depth here. Basically I read this article and as someone who's a great fan of philosophical pessimism (Peter Wessel Zapffe; E.M. Cioran; Thomas Ligotti (though I've only really read about their arguments more than I've read the primary material)), I'd be very interested in looking further into the neuroscience of the philosophy of consciousness. In the essay linked above, it references Tor Nørretranders' The User Illusion and Timothy D. Wilson's Strangers to Ourselves but I understand both of these works are from the years 1999 and 2004, respectively.

I was just wondering what your thoughts on the article are (more the philosophy than the fiction) but mostly I'm enquiring as to if there's a more current book detailing such a neuro-scientific perspective in 2018, maybe building upon the work laid down by the two writers above?
  • schopenhauer1

I consider myself to be a philosophical pessimist and write about it frequently on the forum. Have you heard of Thomas Metzinger? He is a neuroscientist wrote the forward to Ligotti's book and would probably fit under "neurohorror". Check out The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of Self. I haven't read him, but I do know he fits in that genre you speak of. What in particular fascinates you about neuroscience and its relation to horror?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.