• Kym
    Ideology via a dictionary:
    "A system of ideas and ideals that form the basis of economic or political theory and policy"
    "The set of beliefs characteristic of a social group or individual"

Ideology via experience:
    In practice, an ideology finally distinguishes itself by its loyalty to its own values ahead of other all considerations - like facts for instance. Under pressure, an ideologue is identifiable by their rejections out-of-hand of conflicting evidences or logical critiques. Typically in preference they will attack their detractors' ethical integrity. These ad-hominum reactions can vary across a wide spectrum: From thought-blocking clichés (e.g. of "political correctness" and “bleeding hearts” from the Right) to name-calling (from "sell out" to "counter revolutionary" from the Left) to lethal violence (Fatwa-approved assassinations or the most brutal execution of heretics, by those of a more pious inclination).

It seems then that ideology is not merely a framework of ideas supporting ideals and beliefs, but is actually constructed as kind of fortress against reasoned objection, and by extension, against reality itself. While not all ideologies are so malignant, it seems that as intrinsically anti-rational constructions, all are ever prone towards a slide into the abyss.

While bracing for the shock of the next ideological train wreck, a fairly obvious question comes to mind: How best then to deal with unjust and damaging ideologies?

The relativist's plea for universal acquiescence can't be a long term solution as the world grows ever smaller - ultimately forcing the consequences of irrational value systems upon all bystanders and unfortunate ecosystems who happen to be in the way. I used to think comic derision was the most effective response until they started murdering cartoonists (thankfully my own country is merely content in jailing you for deriding the esteemed). Violence as a solution seems only to fuel the growth of conflicting ideologies - and is seldom very much fun for long. Finally, as outlined above, ideology seems specifically designed to resist critical thought and empiricism.

If philosophy can't solve the problem directly maybe it still has some good advice. I'd appreciate any practical thoughts on this problem which seems to have become more pressing.
  • BC
    We live in a time of "peak ideology" -- at least as far as the frequency of "ideology" in print.

tumblr_p7188kvY131s4quuao1_540.png (Google ngram)

'Ideology' has become a derogatory term, a brickbat thrown at one's opposition.

a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy. "the ideology of republicanism"
    synonyms: beliefs, ideas, ideals, principles, ethics, morals; More the ideas and manner of thinking characteristic of a group, social class, or individual.
    "a critique of bourgeois ideology"
    archaic
    visionary speculation, especially of an unrealistic or idealistic nature.
    the science of ideas; the study of their origin and nature.
    — Dictionary

Too bad it went sour, because it would otherwise be a useful word, to describe the necessary set of ideas and ideals one needs to organize one's life.

Usually ideology becomes a Maginot Line when a 'closed mind' is at work. But like the actual Maginot Line, ideology isn't a very good bulwark against one's enemies. Ideology makes one's world seem deceptively secure, and it is as long as one's enemies attack where they are supposed to, and not do an end run around one's defenses.

I find my enemies doing end runs around my ideological defenses all the time -- it's really quite annoying. Worse, they are aided by my stupid bleeding heart allies.

Philosophy should help. It really should, but it sometimes fails. Pulling in your other thread about desire, human emotions trump rational thought a good share of the time. Philosophers rely too much on the good offices of rationality. Everyone likes rationality, of course, as long as it is congenial to one's desires.

The many desires, the many powerful emotions of the animal overwhelm rationality with regularity, and it isn't enough to say we should be more rational. Ideology plus praxis is the kind of discipline we need. Lest the image of troops goose stepping along the streets of Nuremberg come to mind, that's not the kind of praxis I have in mind.

I was thinking more of the the kind of practice the ordinary good citizen deploys: volunteering time to local needs, helping neighbors in need, staying on the job and supporting one's self and family--and staying in the family, as well. Keeping informed of what is going on in the world; tending one's garden, all that stuff ordinary good citizens do.

The ordinary citizen ideologue knows that emotions do boil over at times, and either arranges a good time and place to expend the head of steam (maybe swimming laps or chopping wood) or finds a way of sublimating ones emotions for the good of civilization--a necessary and usually thankless task.
  • schopenhauer1
    I was thinking more of the the kind of practice the ordinary good citizen deploys: volunteering time to local needs, helping neighbors in need, staying on the job and supporting one's self and family--and staying in the family, as well. Keeping informed of what is going on in the world; tending one's garden, all that stuff ordinary good citizens do.Bitter Crank

The repetitively absurd tasks of existing at all. Round and round we go. Just doing stuff. Your solutions are not off from the norm: projects and community stuff. Build skills to sublimate the mind in projects and participate in community events. The stately king that belies the laughing jester showing up with diagrams of Sisyphus.
  • BC
    I would, of course, say what I said and you would, of course, say what you said, and we'll keep saying it most likely, because we are both ideologues. In saying that, I don't view you as any kind of enemy ideologue plotting an end run around my Maginot Line.

You are more the type to lay a siege and employ a trebuchet to hurl depressing texts over my high walls which do, over time, minutely undermine the enthusiasm to go on living of those whose viewpoints are subject to your bombardment. I, on the other hand, project positive sounding non-inferential dramas on my walls, which lure your troops into thinking that life might possibly, perhaps, be at least slightly worthwhile, after all.

Both of us can rest, assured that nobody is much persuaded by anything we say. Hell, they're not even listening, the sons of bitches.

Alas.

The People are in la la land. "If you aren't depressed it is only because you aren't paying attention" Snark the Great said.
  • schopenhauer1
    You are more the type to lay a siege and employ a trebuchet to hurl depressing texts over my high walls which do, over time, minutely undermine the enthusiasm to go on living of those whose viewpoints are subject to your bombardment. I, on the other hand, project positive sounding non-inferential dramas on my walls, which lure your troops into thinking that life might possibly, perhaps, be at least slightly worthwhile, after all.Bitter Crank

Haha, I do enjoy your imagery!

Both of us can rest, assured that nobody is much persuaded by anything we say. Hell, they're not even listening, the sons of bitches.Bitter Crank

Yep, shouting nothings into the aether.

The People are in la la land. "If you aren't depressed it is only because you aren't paying attention" Snark the Great said.Bitter Crank

That is a great quote.
  • Kym
    I can't say either of you have provided the pat answer I asked for (it's for a T-shirt). But I certainly enjoy your rants.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment