• Corvus
    Just wondering if German Philosophy could be studied effectively in English translated books.
    Or would it be better or is it must to take up German language, learn it, and read Kant and Hegel etc in German?

It looks like it will take too long time to be on the level of reading German philosophy books, if one has to learn the language.

But if English translated books are plenty and good enough, maybe it would be OK to just read them in English?
  • Artemis

As a dual citizen of Germany and America, and therefore bilingual speaker of German and English:

-Some German texts are actually easier to understand in English. Not because German is such a tough language, but because some (Kant especially) liked writing these unending sentences that are hard to follow. They would be considered run-on in English and so are broken into more digestible chunks in the translation. I love the German language, but I do not love Kant's German.

-Although translations are for the most part accurate, they can (at times) fail to fully convey all the meanings of an important word.

-Although most translators of such texts are academics themselves, they can sometimes (rarely, but it happens) misunderstand a concept and thus mistranslate it slightly.

I would never dissuade someone from learning a new language. However, in the meantime (since proficiency at the philosophical level would take years), you may just want to read the translations and perhaps supplement with some good critiques that can clarify word usage.
  • tim wood
    Or would it be better or is it must to take up German language, learn itCorvus

That's not really an option for most people. If it is for you; if you have a knack for languages, I'd include ancient Greek. Likely you already know a lot of reasons for learning Greek.
  • Corvus

In fact, I was even wondering if I had to learn Greek too, because recently I was reading Iamblicus, and in that book, the author was using a lot of Greek words in Greek alphabet. I couldn't read them, and felt very limited and frustrated at the time.
  • Moliere
    I think translations are roughly sufficient. Or semi-smoothly sufficient. I don't think you need to read the original to understand the arguments, especially on a first reading. It's only when you delve into the nitty-gritty of argument for particular interpretations that translation becomes an issue.

So at an intro level, or even just undergrad level, you're fine. At a doctorate level you'd want to learn the language, but you're talking some odd 4-8 (sometimes 12) years of commitment there.

Since you mentioned Kant I'll note that I think Werner Pluhar's translations are on point. It comes with a particular interpretation of Kant, of course (as would be necessary with any translation) -- but he's the translation I read for clarity and an excellent index.
  • tim wood
    I have zero knack for languages. Two paths from here: 1) a cousin, a professor of classics who spoke lots of languages, assuaged my feelings of failure and guilt about language by explaining that it's a knack. Clearly it's not that simple, but I think he was basically right. You got it or you don't. It's much easier if you've got it. And if you've got it, it's worth going for - this opinion from someone who knows the value of the thing from the lack of it.

2) I took Greek. What little I learned was soon forgot. I kept the alphabet and pronunciation and can sound out the Greek words. I'm also pretty good at English. Often you can hear the English in the Greek. This can be useful in refining understanding by giving rise to questions in translations. And it's fun.

Life is short and there are a lot of possibilities. Imo, if you can afford the effort of languages, they will pay you back big time!
  • Plato'sView
    With a document the size of a book, something always gets lost in the translation.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.