• neonspectraltoast
    I seriously doubt that our brains relay information accurately. To me, this is not only a hard problem, but an impossible problem. How do you prove that the chemicals in your brain accurately relay what reality is back to you?

In actuality we could be a transfer of information that is abstract and alien to our senses. You could live in an intricate video game and pick apart all the ins and outs of your reality without ever realizing that the whole thing was a cartridge in a system.
  • schopenhauer1
    I seriously doubt that our brains relay information accurately. To me, this is not only a hard problem, but an impossible problem. How do you prove that the chemicals in your brain accurately relay what reality is back to you?

In actuality we could be a transfer of information that is abstract and alien to our senses. You could live in an intricate video game and pick apart all the ins and outs of your reality without ever realizing that the whole thing was a cartridge in a system.
    neonspectraltoast

So this isn't quite the hard problem though. The hard problem is basically, "How are physical states (like brain states) equivalent to mental states (like qualia or cognition)?"
  • neonspectraltoast

Yes, I guess what I'm saying is we can't possibly say beyond a shadow of a doubt how they ultimately relate...only how they seem to relate from a human perspective.

Because even, hypothetically, if qualia were just your brain, you can't prove your brain is any good at measuring what your brain is. We just assume the chemicals therein are self-reflective, but in reality they may produce a universal abstraction. People do hallucinate. And dream.

Ultimately I think we need to consider that communication is the exertion of the essence of a thing physically outside of the confines of its body. That's where qualia is. A rose communicates. Information is shared. It effects us each differently, and, like it or not, becomes a part of our essence, which travels outside of the body. If it were all inside, no one would be able to see us. Truly we are star stuff, all projecting the light, all belonging to the light. And it's all just communication.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.