• Andreas
    For years I believed Positive and Negative were the main Duality of this world. Recently however, I begun believing Male and Female is the main deeply rooted Duality.
    Male and female does NOT necessarily mean Man and Woman in this case. Including Neutral, everything we do or experience falls under one of these three categories.
    A Star is the symbol of the Female while a black hole is the male symbo; one is to give in abundance while the other is to take.
    F attuned people are friendly and work together with other F people and is the modern style.
    M is more about competing with everyone and everything demanding domination, older style.
    In other words, what I theorize is a duality where the main point of it is De-evolution and Pro-evolution.

Extreme Male is wanting to be in power in exchange for beauty, some (very few) actually strive to be God or vampire even.
    This stems from fearful old style of thinking. Capitalism, being in a less warm welcoming environment in exchange for more currency is also Male thinking.
    Female however wants to experience and live with the flow of the universe instead, living a more relaxed beauty modern style of life, which makes more sense and is better.
    Believe it or not, around 94% of our world is Female attuned, more than ever before, which is a really good thing.
    We have more co operation now than ever before and life keeps (with some ups and downs) going and striving for more beauty in everyone and everything. Thank you.
  • T Clark
    Male and female does NOT necessarily mean Man and Woman in this case. Including Neutral, everything we do or experience falls under one of these three categories.
    A Star is the symbol of the Female while a black hole is the male symbo; one is to give in abundance while the other is to take.
    Andreas

So, an infinitely deep hole that will take us in and destroy us is a male symbol? I don't think Freud would think so.

Also, who, other than you, says "...everything we do or experience falls under one of these three categories."

Certainly is not my experience.

Female however wants to experience and live with the flow of the universe instead, living a more relaxed beauty modern style of life, which makes more sense and is better.

Believe it or not, around 94% of our world is Female attuned, more than ever before, which is a really good thing.
    Andreas

Do you know any women? You're post made me think, perhaps irrelevantly, of a poem by Robert Frost:

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

If I may:

If I had to perish twice
    I think I know enough of life
    To say that for destruction "nice"
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
  • T Clark

Sorry. What I meant to say was "welcome to the forum."
  • Andreas
    Is it so hard to believe that there are 2 styles of thinking that branch off into their own sub-style?
  • Andreas
    Also "thank you"
  • T Clark
    Is it so hard to believe that there are 2 styles of thinking that branch off into their own sub-style?Andreas

I don't find the female/male distinction very useful except when talking about males and females, men and women, boys and girls, but it's not the use of the classifications that bothers me. It's the attribution of positive qualities to the feminine and negative to the masculine. As my previous post indicated, that way of thinking does not match my experience.
  • Andreas
    To T Clark: Think of history. It used to be more competive, so there was a need for a more "male" culture, so it would have higher rate of survival. Male has it's uses, mostly IT GETS THINGS DONE. However it may not always be best to act before thinking and we've evolved past that now.. for the most part.
  • fdrake
    What side of this Fundamental Duality are hermaphroditic molluscs on?
  • unenlightened
    You should look into the I Ching. You don't have to decide on the exact specification of the primary duality; the usual translation is male/creative v female receptive, where creative has a positive aspect and receptive more so a negative one, though not exactly. But the great thing about the system is that everything changes, so @fdrake's molluscs can be catered for too.

And it would be quite within the tradition to suggest that the zeitgeist, as it were, is moving towards the feminine at the moment, and exactly how it is doing it, in terms of the order of the changes in hexagram representations, will be crucial in any judgement of the changes.
  • Shatter
    This is a purely metaphorical duality, surely? As such, it seems to be a dangerous one. Easy as it is to conflate our subjective perspective with objective truth, and given how emotionally charged gender discussions tend to be, wouldn't it be better to avoid this anthropocentrism?
  • S
    Pseudophilosophy.
  • S
    You're a book-head.
  • unenlightened
    to conflate our subjective perspective with objective truth,Shatter

This is a purely metaphorical duality, surely? As such, it seems to be a dangerous one.
  • T Clark
    To T Clark: Think of history. It used to be more competive, so there was a need for a more "male" culture, so it would have higher rate of survival. Male has it's uses, mostly IT GETS THINGS DONE. However it may not always be best to act before thinking and we've evolved past that now.. for the most part.Andreas

I think this is a pretty simplistic view of history. And to characterize maleness as "acting without thinking" is.... well, let's just say it reveals more about you than it does about maleness.

Ironically, one commonly expressed feminist ideal is to make women more like men - more aggressive, more willing to sacrifice family and community for personal satisfaction and status.
  • T Clark
    Pseudophilosophy.Sapientia

Phludo-pseudosophy
  • Shatter
    @unenlightened

You're saying that the subjective/objective distinction is metaphorical?
  • Eric Sotelo
    Maybe it's just me, but I am old school. If I look down in my pants.. I am definitely a "male" of my species. In fact, 100% of all species on this planet, can pretty much identify with me in that regard.

As a species, I am a man, or human. that's categorization and I understand I am using some very basic kindergarten language here. But then again, I speak to everyone like they might be only 5 years old in their thinking. LOL. Apologies to all before hand.

I think in the context of "duality", this is based on some old school thinking and I hope you don't think I am trying to diminish anything or anyone here.

Man and Woman..

Both Human. Both made of flesh and bones.
    Both have emotions. Both need to eat, drink, breathe,
    and feel accepted to survive, and thrive on planet earth.

But are they the same?

Not even a little bit.

There are differences in how our bodies behave. Our behavior
    is different, our chemistry neurologically speaking, different.

How we respond to things, different.
    How we treat people, different.
    How we approach situations, different.
    our physical strength, different.
    How we exert physical and mental strength, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and emotion? different.

It's not just because we are all individuals, but male and females, or Man and Woman, are just plain and simple, different.

I know, I will probably be crucified for going in this direction, but I think people make this more confusing than it really has to be, when it's really just easy and sitting out front for every one to see.. Clear as day.

Common sense is not necessarily innate in humans. But then, that's just me. buahaha!!.
  • A Gnostic Agnostic

For years I believed Positive and Negative were the main Duality of this world. Recently however, I begun believing Male and Female is the main deeply rooted Duality.

It is good insight, especially the "neutral" designation which I find most important of all. If "God" is to be reconciled as "one God" it must necessarily reconcile the genders (ie. male and female) into a single cohesive whole (perhaps as in the yang and the yin), hence my own appreciation for the primordial Edenic state of one and one make one. I find any ideologies that stray from this 1:1 ratio betray nature/"God" entirely and are highly problematic.

Actually, the Hebrew word for 'GOD' (Elohim) I find contains this "marriage" of the two fundamental forces you are talking about:

el - bestowing ("towardness")
    oh - conduit
    im - receiving ("sea/expanse")

wherein 'el' and 'im' require each other, just as a sperm needs a medium (ie. water) within which to operate. To adapt to your analogy...

F attuned people are friendly and work together with other F people and is the modern style.
    M is more about competing with everyone and everything demanding domination, older style.
    In other words, what I theorize is a duality where the main point of it is De-evolution and Pro-evolution.

...I imagine the planets/stars as the bestowers (they have a "towardness" quality to them) and the expanse itself (perhaps with black holes as their conduits) within which they move is the receiver, and together they are one.

Extreme Male is wanting to be in power in exchange for beauty, some (very few) actually strive to be God or vampire even.
    This stems from fearful old style of thinking. Capitalism, being in a less warm welcoming environment in exchange for more currency is also Male thinking.
    We have more co operation now than ever before and life keeps (with some ups and downs) going and striving for more beauty in everyone and everything. Thank you.

When I consider the 25 920-year cycle, I find the high- and low-points (11 500 BCE and 500 CE resp.) to be the extremes to which humanity leans towards the reconciliation of the genders. That is, at the highest point the genders are reconciled and a golden age commences. As Patriarchy sets in, the male ego you allude to becomes dominant and women are treated as slaves to men rather than companions.

I find we are still in the overhang of dark ages Patriarchy: conquest and taking women as booty. It really is sickening to me but I understand why I was born here in this time and not another.

It was a good post thank you for sharing.
  • god must be atheist
    A Star is the symbol of the Female while a black hole is the male symboAndreas

True.

But I always thought the Big Bang was the male and the Black Hole, the female.

As a child, I was convinced that buses were male, and streetcars, female. When I saw a collision between two buses, I figured they were gay.

Also, I was convinced that dogs were male, cats female, without an exception. Imagine my surprise the first time I was called an a..hole! I mean, a s of a b. (I often confuse the two terms.)

Are meals female, and chairs male? Or the other way around? One you eat, the other, you sit on.

Balloons are absolutely male.

Air pumps are AC / DC.

Kitchen floors are male. That's why they resemble husbands. You lay them properly the first time around, and you can walk all over them for the rest of your life.

Hydroelectric power dams are male. They just hadn't had female company for waaaay too long.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.