• Shawn
    Here's a fun experiment that I just discovered after years of using the same pen.

Take a look at this multicolor Bic pen:

bic+colours+005.jpg

When I first started using this pen, I made a conscious decision to use red for definitions, black for just the mass of information that I would be interpreting or note takng. However, when I encountered the available options of 'green' and 'blue' I wasn't too sure for what purpose those colors would be used as.

Eventually, after looking through my notes, I discovered that green would often represent meaningful content to myself, and blue would be used to denote significance of material, again on some personal level this would happen, consciously or unconsciously... Still unsure on the blue on that level of understanding.

What are your thoughts? Have you by any chance unconsciously or consciously denoted colors for some sort of conceptual schema?
  • Shawn
    One neuroticism that has emerged from this analysis is when I use green to explain meaningful content to myself, I would sometimes end the sentence or thought with changing the color to red, as if I were pointing out something of such importance that it would merit the status of a definition or name of a definition.
  • Shawn
    OK, so I think blue denotes factual information from what I gather.

What does this all say about me? Wondering.
  • Sir2u
    What does this all say about me? Wondering.Posty McPostface

I would say that you are an organized think.

I use different colored pens to denote different reasons for grades I give.

Red for crappy work.
    Blue for late presentation.
    Black for accepted final grade.
    Sometimes other color, with side notes to explain reason.
    It saves writing the explanations along side each of the grade.
  • T Clark
    What are your thoughts? Have you by any chance unconsciously or consciously denoted colors for some sort of conceptual schema?Posty McPostface

Red is only for markups on drawings when I'm reviewing them. I sometimes use it on text too, but more often these days I use the comment function on Adobe or redline/strikeout on MS Word.

Blue and black are fairly interchangeable. If I've been writing in black and I want something to stand out, I'll use blue. I also like to sign everything with blue so it's clear whether or not a document has been copied in color.

Green means clean. Red means dirty. When I'm marking up a figure that shows where contaminated soil or groundwater is, I can show the distribution of contamination.

When I'm trying to put lots of information on a map, I'll use all my pens and sometimes colored pencils and highlighters.
  • BC
    It's amazing technology, totally game changing. How did anybody get along without these invaluable devices?

Since you are taking notes for posterity, be sure that the ink in these pens is waterproof and resistant to fading. Naturally the paper you write on should be acid free -- then kept in climate controlled storage bins.

In answer to your last question, yes. I love devising color coded conceptual schema. But then I forget which color meant what in the current conceptual scheme, and soon I am overwhelmed by confusion. Have you tried writing your ideas on note cards with different colored pens and then sorting the cards into yet another schema of various colored boxes located on a third conceptual schema of various colored shelves?
  • BC
    This question is in chartreuse with pink polka dot ink representing the category of completely irrelevant to the current discussion. These cards go into the beige box on the mauve shelf in the ochre room:

How do you pronounce Polish names beginning "pryz.. like "Przybylski... or prz,... as in Przewalski?
  • unenlightened
    I'm reminded of certain usually American, typically psychology and self help books that have such a coded structure, using fonts and layout: bullet points, exposition, case histories, advice, all quarantined from each other in separate sections of bold, or italics or enlarged print.

I don't much like it, because it seems like an attempt to impose an appearance of structure on material that is actually wooly and confused; to make waffle seem like argument and science. But for one's own purposes in trying to absorb material and organise one's thoughts - 'whatever gets you through the night.' Just don't make your ink colours into an ontology.
  • TimeLine
    I'm reminded of certain usually American, typically psychology and self help books that have such a coded structure, using fonts and layout: bullet points, exposition, case histories, advice, all quarantined from each other in separate sections of bold, or italics or enlarged print.unenlightened

There is something clinical about it, but sometimes you need structure to help balance you along your trajectory to improve the results. You could do 'whatever gets you through the night' but I am sure wifey would appreciate a bit of thoughtfullness in your foreplay, surely.

On a side note.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    @Posty McPostface
    I have a confession to make. I used to take those pens apart and change the color of ink to a different color indicator, so Red was Blue and Blue was Green and so on. :snicker:
  • Victoria Nova
    I tend to refuse to write in red or green important information or ongoing information. It feels to me as if when I will read what was written in red or green, it will loose it's meaning or it won't sink. If I have no choice it makes me feel quite dissatisfied. It upsets me if I find in my table only red ink or green, because I need blue or black. I don't mind drawing in those colors, though.
    ( Postal service also prefers black and blue ink. Do I have postman mind? Hahaha.)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.