• YIOSTHEOY
    I was looking for something written along the lines of personal general philosophies but did not find anything like that so I decided to start a new thread.

After you have finished reading all the books and taken all the college classes you can or are able to take in Philosophy, you must then have stopped to wonder how it all has impacted you.

So what did you then conclude? Did you come up with your own personal philosophy as well.

I'll start my own discussion of this with a list of the day to day rules I follow myself. They are sort of a version of the Hebrew Tenakh 10 Commandments of Moses but updated to my own personal circumstances. After that I will additionally talk about my own personal philosophy.

1 - Keep all the laws of God and mankind. Do not be a sinner nor a lawbreaker.

2 - Pay your devotions to your God on the most important high holy days. This way you will better remember Him/Her/It/Them.

3 - Don't hurt or kill anyone else unless you cannot avoid doing so in defense of yourself or others or your Nation.

4 - Never go anywhere unarmed.

5 - Never go anywhere without a knife in case you need to cut something desperately.

6 - Be kind to all living things and treat everyone and everything humanely.

7 - Do your share of the workload required to support yourself and others who need your help.

8 - Do not waste food.

9 - Do not waste water.

10 - Keep your ingestion of foods and wines to a healthy minimum.

11 - Exercise your body as often as you can.

12 - Exercise your mind by reading and thinking and performing analytical calculations.

13 - Remember Hesiod's rule of moderation in all things.

14 - Take care of your family especially your children whom you brought into the world and your parents who brought you into the world.

15 - Forgive your parents if they turned out to be bad parents.

16 - Support your governments as long as they are following the constitutions.

17 - Cast your vote in every election on every topic and vote responsibly.

18 - Pay your taxes to a reasonable degree of compliance.

19 - Help those in need of help whom you are able to help like a Good Samaritan without disproportionately hurting yourself in the process.

20 - Don't play with fire except for us in cooking.

21 - Be aware of the dangers around you at all times during the daylight or at night.

22 - Avoid all avoidable unnecessary risks.

23 - Leave the Earth a cleaner better place than you found it on a daily basis.

24 - Avoid gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, wrath, pride and lust.

Ok now on to personal philosophy:

A - Use your mind to think rationally through any issue or problem.

B - Never assume anything when you can just as validly research or investigate it to find out definitively what the actual facts are.

C - Use your powers of induction and inference to formulate rational hypothesis.

D - Gather data to test your hypotheses.

E - Use rational deduction to verify your hypotheses whenever possible.

F - Never presume a mere hypothesis or theory to be fact or law.

G - Do not confuse your theoretical models of reality with absolute reality itself.

H - Don't be overly impressed with other geniuses and their claims.

I - Allow others to disagree with you.

J - Agree to disagree with others as well.

K - Don't use fallacies in your reasoning or argumentation.

L - Point out all fallacies to others who are relying on them for reasoning or argumentation.

M - Defend those whom you agree with.

N - Oppose those whom you disagree with, but first reexamine your own arguments to be sure you are correct.

O - Try to end the day smarter and better informed than in the morning when you stared it.
  • YIOSTHEOY
    Someday I'll give you all my gun safety rules too -- there are about 25 of them also.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.