• Philosopher
    Hello! I would be interested to know what people think of philosophy as a science. Do we need a philosophy? What philosophical questions are you interested in and why? Do you think everyone can call himself a philosopher? I will be glad to know your opinions.
  • Ying
    Philosophy as a science. Lol. Yeah, no. Philosophy is inherently unparadigmatic. It might even be considered proto paradigmatic in certain cases. The sciences on the other hand, require a paradigm for there to be any form of normal science at all. So there's that.
  • Moliere
    Do we need a philosophy?Philosopher

Yes and no.

In some sense the questions of philosophy are inescapable -- people answer them on the daily in their practical lives, even if they never engage with the practice of philosophy. We all act on beliefs about the minds of others, the nature of the world, how we know something, and what is good.

And, no, we don't need to reflect on our beliefs. We can get along alright enough without asking questions of our beliefs or examining them.

What philosophical questions are you interested in and why?

Right now my mind has been redirected to interpretations of Kant, cuz of a thread on here.

I'm also interested in the ontology of social entities, and the nature of love.

Do you think everyone can call himself a philosopher?

Not really. It seems weird to me to say everyone is a philosopher, in the same way that it's weird to say that everyone is a runner -- we can all do it, some better than others, but that doesn't mean we are defined by that particular potential.

I don't feel comfortable calling myself a philosopher, for instance. It just seems kind of weird, even if I've written some philosophical pieces. I'm a student of philosophy, but not sure about philosopher.
  • S
    Philosophy as a science. Lol.Ying

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. How about trigonometry as a sport?
  • Streetlight
    I suspect the OP simply meant 'as a discipline' rather than 'as a science'. Be nice yall.
  • PossibleAaran
    Do we need a philosophy?Philosopher

If only to combat bad philosophy, we need philosophy. People act and judge others on the basis of philosophical ideas. It is best to think about those ideas carefully for that reason.

What philosophical questions are you interested in and why?Philosopher

Im interested in the idea that some beliefs or theories are more credible than others. I'm also interested in radical scepticism and arguments for /against the existence of God.

philosophy as a science.Philosopher

It depends what you mean by this. Sometimes when people ask whether something is a science, they are presupposing that "sciences" are special in some way. That is itself philosophically controversial.
  • ssu
    Wouldn't it be better to ask the other way around?

What do people think about science as a philosophy?

My answer is that people stating their philosophy is "science" or the "scientific method" simply have no understanding of the history of science or the philosophy of science.

Or to put it another way: People who argue they don't have any philosophy, but believe in the scientific method like have similar philosophical thoughts as some empiricist like John Locke, but simply have never heard of him.
  • Ying
    Yeah, that was my reaction, too. How about trigonometry as a sport?Sapientia

:joke:
  • JJJJS
    you have the aptest name here.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.