• theomen
    It's said to be a logical fallacy to consider absence of evidence, evidence of absence. But since it's impossible to find proof that A is nonexistent, under certain circumstances we can consider a lack of evidence, evidence that proves A does not exist. But is it enough?
    What I think this idea is based on, is Occam's razor. Meaning because for A to be existent, one has to consider unnecessary assumptions which may need proof themselves; therefore it's 'safe' to assume that A isn't there. In other words, "the proof" is more based on probability and approximation, rather than a certain logical approach. Now this method may sound acceptable if you can increase the probability up to e.g. 95% so the 5% can be overlooked. But what if due to the nature of A, the odds cannot be devided that unfairly?
  • SpacedOut
    What sort of nature would allow A to divide the odds more fairly? Just curious as to what you have in mind. You're describing inductive reasoning, and my guess is taking "absence as evidence" would work in a scenario where evidence was fairly sought out, rather than assumed not to exist because the person in question didn't come across any because they failed to seek properly. But I'll have to revisit that thought, this is just off the cuff.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.