• Time
    Have you considered the idea of our consciousness being a separate entity to our brain? In this view, our brain can be considered a machine – nothing more than matter – that has evolved in such a way as to allow ‘it’ to ‘tap into’ or access the conscious realm, plane, dimension, physical law, and so on of our universe. This opposes the conventional view whereby our brain creates – or in some way – manifests our consciousness directly because of its complexity, design, and how it has evolved to do so.

My view is that our brain has evolved, but it has not evolved to manifest consciousness, but rather has evolved to access the conscious dimension, realm, or place and so on of our universe. Accordingly, our brain can be considered a radio, and our consciousness is nothing more than a radio frequency, which our brain can ‘tune into’ – thereby manifesting our consciousness and life. This view considers the human brain as the most complex brain because it has evolved to such a degree that it has transcended the threshold at which a brain can ‘tune into’ the conscious realm. As such, animal brains and all other brains, while sharing similarities with the human brain, have not evolved to the degree of complexity of the human brain, and have not transcended this threshold - or limit - and cannot ‘manifest’ the type of consciousness observed in humans – especially the self-aware ‘I think therefore I am’ aspect of consciousness, which is arguably the most complex form of consciousnesses.

Ultimately, therefore, this consciousness as being independent of the human brain also presupposes the notion that it is an inherent property of the universe itself – much like gravity in the sense. To become conscious, therefore, requires matter to evolve in a very particular way to form a brain, and therefore, by account of its design, the brain can receive the conscious realm or dimension – involuntarily. In more broader terms, every human alive at present experiences consciousness, not because their brain simulates it, but because their brain can access the conscious realm.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
  • BlueBanana
    Ah yes, we can't communicate with animals so let's take the lowest estimate for their mental capacities. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be of someone to say the same thing about african people just because that person doesn't speak any of the african languages? Yeah, that's about how you sound to me.

Other than that, I buy the view almost completely. Just one detail - I can't see how a physical structure of matter could access the consciousness, whatever it is, so I believe it's the other way around: the consciousness attaches itself to matter, and specific patterns of matter support bigger amounts or more complex structures of consciousness around it.
  • Rich
    My view is that our brain has evolvedTime

What precisely is "evolving"? Evolving implies that some consciousness exists that understands the concept of evolving, such as the Mind.

Accordingly, our brain can be considered a radio, and our consciousness is nothing more than a radio frequency, which our brain can ‘tune into’ –Time

The brain appears to be quite alive, but there is no evidence that all of consciousness is smooshed into it in some manner. In fact, consciousness appears to be decentralized. More likely, it is does manage communication (it to it's conscious) via the nervous system including most especially the sounded.

In any case, it is tough separating mind from any part of the human body so I just view mind/matter as a continuum. Beyond this there are quantum scientists investigating the possibility that mind/matter is c embedded in a holographic type universe. Stephen Robbins presents one philosophical possibility in his videos available on Youtube? It helps to have have some background on Bergson though since Robbins' delivery is slow and methodical. Here is the first video in his series.

https://youtu.be/RtuxTXEhj3A
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.