• Pseudonym

I hardly buy anything made in China, it's simple, buy everything you can second hand and then check the small number of items remaining. I presume you've got ebay in New Zealand? All my clothes and electrical items are bought second-hand (or occasionally clearance stock), neither of which generate any revenue for the manufacturers. Furniture, pottery etc. can all be bought from local artisans (I presume you have those), and food can be sourced locally (again, I presume you have farmers). There's still quite a bit left over (hard-drives, personal items, non-reusable items), but not much, and it's not too hard to make sure they don't come from China with Japan and South Korea being such big players in electrical items and so many companies now offering fair-trade.
  • charleton
    Wales and Scotland were both independent nations before the Imperialist Englishman invaded them.René Descartes

A common enough misconception.
  • charleton
    I hardly buy anything made in China,Pseudonym

This is false.
    Open up your computer, your fridge, your TV, your DVD.... ad infinitem
  • Pseudonym

Do you actually read my threads before posting you're pointless jibes? My entire computer is second hand (bar the hard drive which was made in Japan), my fridge is second hand, I do not own a television, nor a dvd player. None of these things have given any money to the Chinese government in any way. I do not approve of their treatment of workers so I do not buy from them, there's plenty of stuff people don't want anymore for me to not have to.

If everyone bought stuff second hand we'd very soon run out and then we'd have to make some hard choices, but already there is the Fairphone, a smartphone made entirely from conflict-free resources, there are companies like aleutian computers who source materials from countries with good records on worker's rights where they can and at least give something back to those communities in the form of education or healthcare where they can't.

This ideas that we're all helpless and might as well not bother is just an excuse.
  • charleton
    None of these things have given any money to the Chinese government in any way.Pseudonym

Keep your naiveté. The servers you use to write your post contribute to the Chinese economy as they are full of components.
    If you want to be pure you'd have to stop contributing to this Forum.
  • Pseudonym

I never claimed purity, the claim was that I hardly buy any items which contribute to the Chinese economy. You're making exactly the sort of whining, weak-willed excuses that cause these problems, "we can't eliminate these things entirely so we might as well not bother", "unless you're a Saint you're not allowed to suggest how other people can improve" it's bullshit, and you know it.
  • charleton

You are not going to improve the life of a single person by not buying something.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.