• TheMadFool
    A philosopher is one who loves Sophia. I don't think the feeling is mutual.
  • Monitor
    We all do it. Examining the criteria (however badly) for our chosen frame of reference. Everything follows from that. We are all philosophers. Making it esoteric adds nothing.
  • celebritydiscodave
    I do n`t consider that a concise definition, even taking it that everybody would comply with it, is of much or any value. The places of thinking involved in the formulation of sentiments are reasonably well understood, and the topic and rules of engagement can be agreed in advance. I think to allow a personal element to that which individuals experience as being philosophy, for should not philosophy itself engage suggestion rather than dictation..
  • Jonathan AB

Perhaps consider self-reflective logic.
    Lets assume that you are correct - my argument is a herd-like reaction.
    But then you affirm the very existence of such herd-like reaction by claiming
    that my argument is just that: a herd-like reaction. Thus you yourself are making
    a typical herd-like reaction BECAUSE your own argument implies that such
    reactions are therefore herd-like. Thus you prove yourself to be of the herd.

The way in which you do this is to simply invert the subject with the object
    without any deeper self-reflection as to whether that fits the empirical world.

Sure, you are perhaps correct, in assuming that my point COULD be herd-like.
    So many people do this, that I can hardly blame you for making such an assumption.

But had you followed through more deeply you would have to then evaluate your
    own response in similar terms: What is so original about the nature of your own reply?

Moreover, the very word 'meme' is so riddled with malapropism, and that word itself
    is a herd-like 'meme' - or rather - a cliche: A typical herd-like reaction.
  • BC
    Are humans a herd-animal, a pack-animal, a troupe-animal, a family-group animal, a solitary animal who periodically tolerates others' proximity, or simply a large group of braying jackasses? Reveal

Culture is a herd product; it's simultaneously produced, modified, and utilized by the herd. So sure, we all engage in herd activity. But, contrary to the sneering tone of people who like the term "sheeple", we don't suspend our individual intelligence to utilize our cultural resources. Most people take at least some meals from "fast food" joints during given year. It isn't all McDonalds. A gyro, for instance, or pad thai are both "fast foods" -- street foods, or can be, anyway. The old-fashioned diner was fast food; so were coffee shops, with a menu of sandwiches, ready to serve blue plate specials (like roast beef on white bread with mashed potatoes, peas, and gravy uber alles) and pie. Herd.

Most people read a newspaper and their opinions are affected by what they read; true, there is a difference between reading the New York Times and the National Enquirer, between the PBS News Hour and Fox news. Herd

Even intellectuals and philosophers like to watch popular movies and TV shows. Herd.
  • BC
    So who is the shepherd?René Descartes

Jefferson Airplane will feed you sheep and look after you lambs. They're the shepherds.

• _db
    What is a Philosopher?René Descartes

They tend to be really pretentious assholes with over-inflated egos and an inferiority complex.
  • CuddlyHedgehog
    And lots of people who aren't all that educated still have effective bullshit detectors, and some educated people can't tell shit from shinola.Bitter Crank

Depends what you mean by “education”. Formal education or the ability to tell shit from shinola through observation and critical thinking?
  • Jonathan AB
    Are humans a herd-animal, a pack-animal, a troupe-animal, a family-group animal, a solitary animal who periodically tolerates others' proximity, or simply a large group of braying jackasses?Bitter Crank

All of the above, and then some...
    Thats why there is good psychological evidence that we reincarnate to and from animal lives.
  • Jonathan AB
    So who is the shepherd?René Descartes

During various ages, we've had various shepherds.
    Right now, I reckon its mostly me,
    until I meet someone who better comprehends the world than I do,
    I have to conclude that I carry that burden.
    Sorry if that sounds egotistical, its not.
    My ego would rather be a rock-star or cricketer than a philosopher.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.