• mauxdivers
    Dear All,

I am trying to teach myself some modal logic by reading A Short Introduction to Modal Logic by Grigori Mints. (If anyone recommends another introduction, I will look into that.)

Already on p.4 I encounter a problem. I cite. “We can also state the truth-table definitions of the logical connectives in abbreviated linear form. First of all we have

value of not-a = 1 - value of a."

Okay, I can see why, since if v(a) = 1, then v(not-a)=1-1=0, whereas it is 1 if v(a)=0. This makes perfect sense. Then Mintis proceeds to defining the truth table of the disjunctive connective V in "abbreviated linear form" as well.

"The table for V has only one zero value for the case when both arguments are zero. This gives

1) v(aVb)=max(v(a),v(b))
    2) v(aV0)=v(a)
    3) v(aV1)=1"

It is (1) above that I don't understand. I don't know what max(v(a),v(b)) stands for. Mintis has not previously defined the "max(v(x))". 2) and 3) are obvious to me, but not 1)...

I would appreciate any help in explaining this. I googled for "abbreviated linear form" but could not find any explanation as to what the max stands for.
  • MindForged
    1) is just saying that the truth-value of the disjunction will be the largest number of the respective values of the disjuncts, I suppose. the "max()" function I assume returns the value of the largest of its arguments (it will return either the value of "a" (v(a)) or the value of "b" (v(b)). So if in #1 a=1 and b=0, v(aVb) will return 1. Maybe I missing something, I don;t have that text.
  • mauxdivers
    Great! And then min(v(a),(v(b)) says that it will be the least of them, as in the conjunction's case. You're a doll (;
  • MindForged
    Yep, "min()" would definitely be conjunction then, since if the values of both conjuncts isn't 1, the conjunction comes out as false (as it should). So min() will just take the lowest value. No problem!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.