• TheMadFool
    What is nonexistence?

Allow me to recount an experience I had when I was a child.

I was sitting next to a large window. It was dusk I believe and I saw a giant tree outside. I don't remember what I was thinking before but all of a sudden a question appeared in my mind. The question was ''how will the world be without me?'' My heart started to beat faster and I felt a cold sensation in my chest (like the ones you get when flying and the plane suddenly drops in altitude). My mind answered that question with an image of houses, trees, people, sounds, light with the only thing missing being me.

It is only now that I realize I was contemplating nonexistence. It was frightening and I still remember it.

This view of nonexistence, being absent in essence, is a child's concept of nonexistence. Also, my fear is exactly how all animals react to nonexistence/death.

What is your concept of nonexistence? What emotions does it evoke?
  • Rich
    None existence would be absence of Duration. But there still seems to be something there to existence out of non-existence.
  • TheMadFool
    None existence would be absence of Duration. But there still seems to be something there to existence out of non-existence.Rich

My doubt is whether or not we understand nonexistence.

My emotional response to it can be construed in two ways.

1. I understood it because what one doesn't understand can't stimulate emotions. Of course an inability to comprehend something does make us irritated or angry but not fear. May be I'm wrong.

2. I didn't understand it because the unknown too evokes fear and anxiety.
  • Rich
    My doubt is whether or not we understand nonexistence.TheMadFool

I don't think we understand it at all. By understanding non-existence we would be able to much better undertand existence. Eastern philosophical cultures (e.g. yoga, some forms of Buddhism) believe that the route of mediation might provide a path toward this understanding but I've seen no evidence so far c that thus is so. Meditation provides interesting insights though. I think understanding comes spontaneously out if no where. There may not be a "path".
  • TheMadFool
    There may not be a "path".Rich

There may not be a destination. That's frightening isn't it? To realize that all one's beliefs amount to zero.
  • Rich
    To realize that all one's beliefs amount to zero.TheMadFool

As if now, it is clear to me that my Mind is evolving. I also observe strong evidence of the persistence of Mind (at different levels). Here and there I observe flashes of evidence of new and interesting patterns of observations that may bring new meaning to my Life (evolution). One thing I've learned is that Life requires patience. Things come when they come. There are no shortcuts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.