• _db
    I posted this on the old PF but unfortunately it did not receive as much attention as I had hoped. So anyway here goes:

"If I turn the handle, then the door will open."

"The door has opened. Therefore, something must have turned the handle."

"If I push the vase, then the vase will break."

"The vase is broken. Therefore, something must have pushed the vase."

We use counterfactuals all the time to evaluate our environment and predict the behavior of entities around us. To be able to predict the behavior of things at a high rate of accuracy would have been extremely evolutionarily advantageous. Some philosophers have thought that it is our ability for counterfactual thinking that allows us to participate in metaphysical modality discussions, but that is a different topic (although quite interesting, I'm thinking of making a post on this in the future).

The topic I wish to discuss here is the source of Absurdity, which I believe to arise from our liberal use of counterfactuals. Camus thought the Absurd was like an actor without a stage. In my more analytic view, I believe the Absurd is the anxiety that we feel when we cannot find a reasonable antecedent for the subsequent.

Unlike the previous examples involving the door and the vase, in which we know the antecedent and the subsequent, the counterfactual incident involving a human being and his condition is only half-known, by the subsequent.

Therefore, we can only create a counterfactual in the reverse:

"A human being exists. Therefore...___"

The subsequent, a human being exists, is a given. But we are removed from access to the antecedent. We are unable to complete our narrative immediately.

This raises anxiety in us, as in the everyday we know both the antecedent and the subsequent of many, if not most, counterfactual incidents we create in our mind. For the same reason a broken twig without an explanation would raise anxiety (for it may be a predator), the very existence of the human being without an explanation raises anxiety as a defense mechanism.

We can ask if we will ever know the antecedent of our personal subsequent, if there is one. To assume there is an antecedent would be to assume the PSR, which is another question in itself but one that I feel is quite pertinent to this discussion.

Are there good reasons to go beyond Camusian Absurdity, or perhaps my counterfactual version of Absurdity, and claim that there is no antecedent? I think that part of the absurdity of the human condition is the pure agnosticism one seems to have to take to it.
  • Sir2u
    For the same reason a broken twig without an explanation would raise anxiety (for it may be a predator),darthbarracuda

This is a possibility. Counting anxiety as fear of the unknown sounds about right.

the very existence of the human being without an explanation raises anxiety as a defense mechanism.darthbarracuda

This is doubtful. Why would it cause anxiety? I could understand curiosity maybe but not anxiety. What would there be to fear?
  • _db
    This is doubtful. Why would it cause anxiety? I could understand curiosity maybe but not anxiety. What would there be to fear?Sir2u

It would cause anxiety because anxiety is a defense mechanism that arises out of an overdetermination of possibilities. In reality, perhaps there need not be anything to fear. But the biological programming that we have makes it so that regardless of this, the lack of any antecedent raises alarm.
  • BC
    It would cause anxiety because anxiety is a defense mechanism that arises out of an overdetermination of possibilities. In reality, perhaps there need not be anything to fear. But the biological programming that we have makes it so that regardless of this, the lack of any antecedent raises alarm.darthbarracuda

Some people are more "missing antecedent" tolerant than others. Some people have free-floating anxiety which avidly seeks events to which it can attach (like being born, for example). Some people respond to anomalies with curiosity, as Sir2U suggests. Some weird phenomena crops up, and they say, "Well, that's odd! How did this happen?" and then they investigate--maybe never solving the mystery, and never lapsing into anxiety over it either.
  • BC
    Your door handle and lamp don't seem very counterfactual.

"relating to or expressing what has not happened or is not the case; a counterfactual conditional statement (e.g., If kangaroos had no tails, they would topple over )..."

Doorknobs turning and doors opening, or lamps being pushed off the table and crashing to the floor don't sound like counterfactuals. Explain more, please.
  • TheMadFool
    Isn't this a roundabout way of saying that life lacks purpose/meaning - that it is without an explanantion that satisfies our desire for higher meaning?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.