• JJJJS
    Wherever I go I see synthetic polymers.

In the developing countries I've worked in/ visited I don't see any forms of recycling - it's all just thrown away - polluting the land and oceans.

How can we stop producing/ using this stuff when it's ubiquitous everywhere now?
  • Marchesk
    The oceanic gyres serve as a large dump for plastics of all kinds. But maybe we can CRISPR some critters into eating it.
  • JJJJS

Then what becomes of the CRISPR critters???
  • Marchesk
    In all such matters, I refer you to:

• JJJJS
    maybe they could be rounded up, and then launched into Venus.
  • JustSomeGuy

Recycling isn't all it's cracked up to be. Metal recycling (steel, aluminum, copper, etc.) is very effective, but plastic (and even paper) are a very different story. With plastic the biggest problem is contamination. It also depends on the kind of plastic, because there are many different kinds of plastic with different chemical compositions. This makes it tricky, as well. Really, whether or not we recycle it, plastic is detrimental to the environment. And it's pretty clear that we aren't going to stop producing plastic anytime soon.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we're screwed.
  • Marchesk
    And it's pretty clear that we aren't going to stop producing plastic anytime soon.JustSomeGuy

Can plastic be made out of hemp?
  • JJJJS

Plastic production/ use will be pushed right until we're on the brink of annihilation. As is our style.
  • JustSomeGuy

It's possible, I know there's a kind of plastic that can be made using corn. But the thing is, that would just be one kind of plastic, and there are a large number of different plastics used for many different things. So, looking to a single substance as a plastic alternative wouldn't work. If we actually wanted to replace plastic, we would need many different substances of many different kinds. Economically, plastic is by far the best option right now, so that combined with the fact that our "leaders" don't generally care much about the future of the planet since they won't be alive anymore, means we probably won't be replacing plastic. At least not any time soon.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree, that seems to be the most likely scenario.
  • JJJJS
    Can also be made out of mushrooms apparently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01kv6s6/p01kgj3w
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.