• BC
    In 2018 I resolve:

To use far fewer dashes, parentheses, and "..." in my writing, and will instead use semicolons and commas. As a subsidiary issue, I will try to resolve my ambivalence about using semicolons at all.

I will continue to use the Oxford Comma. (this, this, and this. NOT this, this and this.)

That's it. Nothing about weight loss; diet; spending; sex; getting to bed on time; being nicer to the neighbors; requests to Satan to bring Donald home immediately if not sooner; giving money to beggars; cleaning the kitchen more often, etc.

I can reform my use of punctuation. Asking more of myself is an intolerable imposition.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

What about that vulturing image of you? That's pretty dank.
  • T Clark
    Ok. Here's my serious list:

• Become more self-aware in all the ways that's possible - emotional, physical, social, intellectual
    • Stop being petty. No cheap shots.
    • Get my blood sugar below 100 mg/dl and my weight 10 lbs below Homer Simpson's

Which isn't to say punctuation isn't important.

Edited.
  • _db
    • Read more primary sources
    • Self-initiate exposure therapy to anxiety triggers
    • Organize my thoughts more for my book
    • Regularly volunteer in the community
    • Prepare for things to get worse
  • Noble Dust

I'm the opposite of you; I resolve to use less semicolons; I'm someone who often has multiple thoughts firing in the brain at the same time, and because this experience can be overwhelming, I tend to write long sentences in which semicolons become necessary; and indeed, the sensation of writing a sentence that ends, and yet continues on in spite of itself can be addicting indeed; being able to connect disparate thoughts without officially ending a sentence via a period (while also being required to fulfill all of the grammatical rules that create a proper sentence) is the true hallmark of the semicolon use; in other words, true semicolon use is demarcated by complete thoughts which are inextricably linked; they're linked in a such a way that a full stop period conveys something vaguely lacking; what's lacking, indeed, is a sense of flow; what's lacking is a sense of continuity.
  • BC
    Very long sentences of paragraph length used to be as de regueur as French phrases.
  • BC
    You have some ambitious items on your list, of which blood sugar, self-awareness, and cheap shots are the least.
  • Noble Dust

Kramer approves. I also like short sentences. Semicolon use is an all-or-nothing affair. I say either go all the way, or don't go at all. Brevity is often best. I can go on and on. But when I do, I like to go at a short clip. I like to either go fast, or go slow. But, it ultimately doesn't matter. What matters is what is expressed. And if what's expressed is expressed succinctly or laboriously is, I think, inconsequential. There are many, many ways of saying the same thing.
  • BC
    There are many, many ways of saying the same thing.Noble Dust

Or nothing at all.
  • Noble Dust

Ah; are you catching on to me? Are you, BC, finding a pattern; are you finding something oh so characteristic in my writing that, as a reader, as an interpreter of what I say, you find that you're finally finding a final feeling about the sorts of philosophical findings that I finalize? True; my writing here is verbose; yes; but is it? What, exactly, do you find oh so non-canonical that you find the need to use such a paltry phrase as "or nothing at all" when responding to the resplendent aura of the light of the phrases that I use in order to intimate such specific linguistic phenomena as the sorts of meanings which I'm trying to instigate?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My serious New Year's resolution is to approach life less seriously. Really.
  • BC
    Dank, thanks. Back to the bluejay.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

Damn, I liked that vulture. I thought it represented the new (and improved?) you.
  • T Clark
    Damn, I liked that vulture. I thought it represented the new (and improved?) you.Metaphysician Undercover

I've always assume BC chose the blue jay for the same reason I choose a crow - they are raucous, argumentative, and cranky. I've always loved blue jays. I played football for the Seaford, Delaware HS Blue Jays. I also like red squirrels, chipmunks, mockingbirds. Anything loud and bad-tempered.
  • praxis
    I'm gonna drink a lot less. O:)
  • TimeLine
    Get along better with TimeLineT Clark

You have some ambitious items on your list, of which blood sugar, self-awareness, and cheap shots are the leastBitter Crank

I am going to stop being so paranoid and suspicious that people think it is hard to get along with me.
  • Agustino
    To have more discipline with my sleeping schedule, and to work less at night >:O
  • Banno
    It strikes me as philosophically unwise to use some arbitrary date as an excuse for such resolutions. wpid-screenshot_2014-12-30-13-53-57-1.png
  • Janus
    To follow the 'Watercourse Way' and realize the resolution of non-resolution.

Or as Camus liked to say "Find an excess in moderation".
  • BC
    Good idea.
  • Noble Dust

Anyway, on a more serious note, I'm resolving to start taking care of myself this year; physically, spiritually, emotionally, etc. Can't kill yourself forever.
  • Sir2u
    I resolved last year not to make resolutions that I probable would not keep, think I'll do the same this year because I actually managed to keep my resolution.
  • dog
    I like to either go fast, or go slow. But, it ultimately doesn't matter.Noble Dust

I object to the commas in both sentences above. But I like this attention to prose style.

Should I have combined my two sentences into one? Maybe. But I like the extra pause that comes with a period before a 'but.'
  • dog
    I will continue to use the Oxford Comma. (this, this, and this. NOT this, this and this.)Bitter Crank

I salute you. Oxford Comma all the way.
  • BC
    Good dog. Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.