• rohan
    The reason I ask this, is because the fundamental difference between humans and I think also most problems of humanity all originate from what every human being thinks or feels. Therefore I ask the question is it possible to choose what one thinks or feels?

Or are we mostly determined by our experiences and conditioning?
    Or by our genetics?
    Or maybe through some divine spiritual plane?
    Or just luck/unluckiness?
  • Janus

Perhaps, since there are "fundamental difference(s) between humans" some can choose what to feel and think and others cannot. How would anyone other than the individual know? Or for that matter how would any individual know; since for all they know they might feel and think that they choose to feel and think what they feel and think, but they might be one of the poor souls who feel and think that because they have no choice about it. :-} :s ;) >:O
  • BC
    I don't usually quote Schopenhauer, but this quote is pertinent:

Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills.

The limitation on our freedom to will whatever we would will is pretty straightforward:

Long before we are mature enough to make a serious choice, genetics, prenatal environment, upbringing, influence of peers, and so on have shaped us. These limiting factors impose severe limitations on our freedom to "will whatever we want to will".
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.