• TheMadFool
    Who says that the people in your world in this life were in previous lives of yoursMichael Ossipoff

That's another thing for Buddhists to think about.
  • charleton
    Assume Buddhism is true. What then?TheMadFool

Reincarnation is only a side issue. Buddha had some sense to talk. The after life shit is still irrelevant.
    Even if it is true, since you don't remember your past lives it's just as if you just die. So no real change. I'll stick to my axioms.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Reincarnation is only a side issue. Buddha had some sense to talk. The after life shit is still irrelevant.
    Even if it is true, since you don't remember your past lives
    charleton

You won't.

...it's just as if you just die.

If you're reincarnated, you won't know that. You won't remember a past life.

If you instead go into the deep-sleep at the end of lives, you won't know that either, because you won't know that there ever was, or could be, such a thing as a life, body, person, identity, time, or events.

But, as a matter of fact, your experiences with those two outcomes will be different from eachother, even though you won't know that one of them happened.

So no real change.

I'd say that the fact that you won't know what happened doesn't mean that your experience is the same, with those two different outcomes.

Most everyone, including me, who believes that reincarnation probably happens, agrees that only a very, very few people are life-completed enough to reach the sleep at the end-of-lives at the end of this life. In other words, then, reincarnation will be the outcome for pretty-much everyone at the end of this life.

No, I can't prove that there's reincarnation, but, as I've mentioned before, it's implied by an uncontroversial meta[hysics.

I like the discussion of metaphysical issues, but I'm not saying that it's important to convince anyone about a particular metaphysics or metaphysical conclusion.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Michael Ossipoff

"Shit happens; then you die. Spread some fun and kindness.
    Only with these axioms can you fully enjoy your life and make it better for others, whilst they exist". — charleton
    TheMadFool

Of course that's good advice, regardless of what, if any, metaphysics you subscribe to. ...and whether or not there's reincarnation.

[quoting]

Mad Fool continues:

Indeed that is the best option. Metaphysics is a dud.

Metaphysics doesn't determine, decide or change Charlton's advice quoted above.

Are you saying that makes metaphysics "a dud"?

If you want to discuss something physically practical, then discuss engineering (or maybe physics, because it informs engineering) instead of metaphysics.

Definite uncontroversial things can be said about metaphysics.Some people aren't interested in it. Maybe you're one such. That's fine. I recommend engineering.

Michael Ossipoff
  • TheMadFool
    I recommend engineering.Michael Ossipoff

LOL(Y)
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.