• Oliver Purvis
    Freedom and Consciousness

O. J. Purvis

Part 1

Defining ‘I’

'I' am my consciousness.

Non-conscious aspects of my organism (particularly the unconscious mind, brain, nervous and hormone systems), while essential for the creation and modification of consciousness, are not in themselves the conscious experience. Remove some part of the body, alter the function of the unconscious mind - provided consciousness has not been destroyed by the changes there will remain an experience of self: this is the essential 'I'.
    When the 'I' refers to itself using the term 'I', it is referring to an experience that cannot by definition be had by another. If another could experience the totality of my 'I' it would become identical with it; having become 'I', it would no longer be another. Destroy the 'I' and it no longer exists to refer to itself. The term 'I' therefore has important semantic significance. When I hear another use the term I make an assumption that there is a similar consciousness 'inside', although I cannot be certain of this. Supposing my consciousness was to suddenly disappear but my body somehow continued to operate as before, living my life with no apparent changes (a so-called 'philosophical zombie'); lacking any behavioural or physiological clues to the absence of consciousness my friends and family would have no reason to suspect that the mindless automaton before them no longer possessed the conscious 'I' assumed to have been there all along. The zombie's usage of the word 'I' would elicit identical responses as before but semantically the word would be empty (for the zombie) - with no conscious 'I' to which it would refer it would be merely one more noise among the many comprising the language, a system of rules blindly applied in complex interactions emulating those of a conscious being.
    'I' am my consciousness.

Consciousness experiences itself as a continuous process. Even a seemingly static conscious experience - the attention fully absorbed by a particular thing with no disturbances from external sources - is constantly changing. There is always a sense of time passing, of the present state of awareness being subsequent to those preceding it. States of consciousness can be defined somewhat arbitrarily to last for various lengths of time, but they must have some duration. A momentary consciousness with an infinitesimally short duration is logically impossible - without duration such a hypothetical state must be considered to begin and end at precisely the same instant i.e. it could not be considered to have occurred at all.
    A consecutive series of arbitrarily divided conscious states may be represented as follows:
    C1 - C2 - C3 - C4 - C5
    Generally, I do not feel surprised at new thoughts as they arise. I feel a sense of ownership over successive conscious states, particularly when actively pursuing a train of thought or deliberating intently over some choice. The process feels intentional; C1 leads to C2 in accordance with my will. For this to be the case successive conscious states must be in some way formulated in those preceding them (otherwise they would seem to spring into existence from nothing). C1 must therefore contain the germ of C2 in order for C2 to follow as intended:C1(C2) - C2(C3) - C3(C4) - C4(C5) - C5(C6) etc.
    Conscious states are determined by multiple factors: psychologically, by the preceding conscious states and the action of the unconscious mind; neurologically, by the complex functioning of the brain and nervous system; physiologically, by the action of somatic and hormonal influences on the nervous system; externally, by the influence of environmental and social factors on the organism; physically, by the blind, chaotic behaviour of the substances, chemicals, atoms etc. of which the organism is composed. These factors are in a state of flux, their continuous changes influencing and being influenced by the others. Successive conscious states are non-identical.
    However closely approximated, (C2) is not C2. In any case, (C2) exists as part of the C1(C2) complex - C1(C2) certainly is not C2(C3).
    If it was possible to achieve perfect correspondence between (C2) and C2 there would be no need to treat them as separate entities - (C2) would contain the totality of C2 which in turn would contain (C3), C3, (C4), C4 etc. The series of conscious states would be contained within a single state: C12345….. (or simply ‘C’). Anything short of perfect omniscience (simultaneous experience of all states transcending the notion of time) or perfect prescience (all states predetermined but latent until consciously actualised) must involve a division of the conscious experience i.e. a succession of states contingent upon prior and contemporary factors and therefore unknowable before the moment of their realisation. Consciousness, including all thoughts, feelings and perceptions of the subjective ‘I’, is not produced or influenced by a controlling ‘will’; the ‘will’ itself, as part of the conscious experience, is a product of the processes underpinning other aspects of conscious states. Rather than considering consciousness to be a process governed - in whole or in part - by intentionality, it should be considered a process of continual revelation.

Consciousness-as-Revelation

The idea of consciousness-as-revelation seems counterintuitive at first, but with reflection and self-observation seems undeniable. The obvious objection stems from the lack of surprise (usually) felt at the continual creation of the conscious experience. However, the quality of surprise - or indifference - is part of the experience. There is no pre-existing ‘I’ to which the conscious experience happens, and to which the ‘I’ will react (with surprise or otherwise). The ‘I’ is the experience, including all the affective and sensory qualities revealed therein (It may be argued that sensory perceptions - which refer often to things beyond the organism - are not part of the ‘I’. However, perceptions are not the perceived things in themselves: they are representations, qualia - my qualia and therefore part of my personal conscious experience). Perhaps there exist individuals who do experience a continuous feeling of surprise at their changing consciousness, but it is difficult to imagine how such a permanently introspective condition could confer any evolutionary advantage.

‘Unexpected’ Thoughts

Most of the time my consciousness progresses without involving a reflection upon the continual revelation of developing states and the passing away of prior ones, but there are frequent occasions when I do experience surprise at the process. An unbidden thought; a long forgotten memory triggered by some sensory experience or arising with apparent spontaneity, perhaps giving rise to further associated memories; the sudden perceptual shift induced by an illusion or magic trick. These kinds of conscious events feel different to the typical conscious experience - a kind of cognitive non sequitur.
    I am walking along thinking about something when a completely unconnected and unanticipated thought springs to mind; later, I say of this experience ‘...it occurred to me that…’ The term ‘occurred’ is apposite - it simply happened (I use the colloquial phrasing although this does retain the implication that there was a separate ‘I’ to whom the thought occurred. Rather than ‘it occurred to me’ a more appropriate wording would be ‘the thought occurred’). In addition to its specific content the thought included the usual qualities identifying it as my thought; even though ‘I’ did not intend to have it, it felt as though it originated in my mind, for my mind; I retained a sense of ownership, of responsibility over it; it was mine. This quality of ownership characterises all my conscious states; loss of ownership gives rise to valid but pathological experiences (e.g. the schizophrenic who ‘hears voices’).
    ‘Unexpected’ thoughts are occasions when the phenomenon of consciousness-as-revelation is noticed consciously (the experience of noticing itself being part of the revelatory experience). The nature of consciousness-as-revelation means that all other conscious states also simply occur. The occurrence of the typical conscious process is distinguished from ‘unexpected’ consciousness in that it is not noticed.
    ‘I’ am my consciousness. ‘I’ occur.

‘Intentional’ Thoughts

When I engage in a process of deliberate thought - when my attention is purposely directed towards the analysis of a problem, making a decision, recollection of specific facts etc. - I am not surprised by the thoughts that arise. They occur (so it seems) because I caused them to occur; they feel like products of my will. It is counterintuitive to consider these thoughts as simply ‘occurring’ in the same manner as ‘unexpected’ or ‘passive’ aspects of the conscious experience, and yet this must be so given that they are part of the conscious experience: consciousness-as-revelation. In a similar way in which ‘unexpected’ thoughts arise containing a conscious sense of surprise, ‘intentional’ thoughts carry a sense of intentionality.
    Suppose I have an ‘intentional’ thought e.g. I make a choice between two options, A and B. I decide to choose A, experiencing a thought amounting to ‘I choose A’ (this is obviously a description of the meaning of the thought, the experience being non-verbal). Call this thought ‘Z’. I feel as though I had Z; I take ownership of it; I made the decision. For this to be true - to avoid the possibility that the thought simply sprang into being from external sources (or from ‘nowhere’) I must have intended to choose A - I must have had a thought amounting to ‘I intend to choose A’ (I.e. ‘I intend Z’) Call this thought Y. Z follows Y in accordance with my will. But for this to be true - for me to avoid once again the possibility that Y has simply ‘occurred’ - I must have intended Y i.e. had a prior thought, X, amounting to ‘I intend Y’. And so on, X requiring W, W requiring V…... True ownership of consciousness would involve an impossible infinite regress for every conscious state. At some stage the conscious experience must ‘occur’. The feeling of ownership, of choice, of intentionality, is strongest when experiencing intentional thoughts because this is what identifies them as such. This feeling is itself a quality of consciousness-as-revelation.

Determinism and Free Will

One of the major philosophical problems is that of determinism versus free will. Essentially: if the universe is deterministic i.e. if all matter, energy and forces in the universe operate according to causal physical laws such that the states of any and all physical systems are the inevitable consequences of prior states, and if consciousness is produced by the brain (a physical system), free will cannot exist.
    Whether or not the universe is deterministic has not been established with certainty (subatomic quantum processes cannot yet be described in deterministic terms). However, it has been pointed out that in a non-deterministic universe free will may not be possible since on some level it would consist of entirely random, acausal phenomena i.e. it would be the consequence of randomness rather than free self-determination. Various arguments have been put forward both supporting and refuting the idea that determinism and free will are contradictory (incompatibilism versus compatibilism).
    Whether consciousness is entirely a product of the brain has not been established with certainty, although there is an ever increasing abundance of evidence to support the idea. The study of injuries to the brain has for centuries helped to identify specific areas vital for the performance of various cognitive functions. Modern scanning techniques have furthered the mapping of the brain, correlating psychological activities with specific patterns of neurological activity. Nevertheless, idealistic theories persist (both religious and secular varieties) in which consciousness has its own distinct being, existing independently from matter (even if the two forms of existence sometimes interact closely in the form of organic intelligence).
    The point is this: whether or not the universe is deterministic; whether the basis of consciousness is materialistic or idealistic - ‘I’ am my consciousness-as-revelation.

The implication of the above statement is that as far as psychological ‘freedom’ may be spoken of with regards to the deterministic/indeterministic nature of the universe, the fact of consciousness-as-revelation ensures that I am almost as free as it is possible to be. I say almost since I undoubtedly perform certain habitual behaviours which are within my power to identify and eliminate e.g. repeatedly performing a physical task in an typical, routine fashion or responding to social stimuli in a predictably characteristic manner. While these behaviours remain habitual they arguably reduce my effective ‘freedom’ although I am always ‘free’ to identify and change them (this does not apply if I have chosen to retain the habitual behaviour e.g. allowing myself to carry out an accustomed task ‘automatically’ for the sake of convenience, thereby enabling my attention to be occupied by a more worthwhile subject).
    The threat of indeterminism as a source of randomness is assuaged by the fact that consciousness-as-revelation is experienced by and in the form of a knowing subject - the ‘I’ in ‘I am my consciousness’. However variable or even contradictory this ‘I’ might seem, consciousness occurs as revelation for it alone, consistent throughout all its inconsistencies. ‘I’ am one; ‘I’ am not now this one and now another one, for ‘I’ cannot possibly be another. Throughout all experience involving ‘I’ there must persist the irreducible experience of ‘I’, however much this ‘I’ may seem to change. Otherwise the whole experience would be no more than a series of disconnected phenomena occurring for no ‘one’.
    The threat of determinism to the concept of freedom cannot be entirely avoided, but the problem can be approached from different angles. The fact of consciousness-as-revelation means that even if the universe is entirely deterministic, ‘I’ can never experience myself as such. Perhaps every aspect of my being is purely the inevitable consequence of the preceding state, every thought and action part of the ongoing causal chain of events comprising the entire universe. Perhaps; but without consciousness there would be no ‘I’ to comprehend such an idea, an ‘I’ experiencing itself always as revelation and therefore unknowable to itself in advance. ‘I’ may not be free, but my experience is unavoidably one of freedom.

Semantics

The question of conscious freedom may be thought of as a purely semantic issue. Whatever the actual state of affairs is, it is. The universe was as it was, is as it is, will be as it will be irrespective of what any intelligent being might say about it. Confusion about whether or not I am ‘free’ might be put down to - as the semanticists would say - ‘confusion of orders of abstraction’. The universe, the world, exists at its basic level as raw ‘stuff’. From this ‘stuff’ emerges structure, form, life. Some of this life attains a level of intelligence capable of using language, abstract thought, introspection, etc. These beings turn their attention to the universe around and within them and attempt to make sense of what they observe. They do not, however, ever directly experience the raw ‘stuff’, the ‘things-in-themselves’. They experience only representations of these things, images constructed by their brains from patterns of neurological activity produced by the sense organs in response to physical stimuli. ‘I’ never really ‘see’ a tree; ‘I’ experience the representation of a tree produced by my brain according to the pattern of neurological activity induced by light bouncing off the tree and into my eyes. My experience - my representation - of the tree is already several orders of abstraction away from the raw ‘stuff’ of the tree itself. The tree - the world - is non-verbal. To assign a label to some part of the world is to abstract further. The ‘thing’ is not the word. Anything I say about any ‘thing’ involves a further abstraction, utilising words equally abstracted from the ideas they are supposed to represent with varying semantic values depending on their context, the structure of the proposition in which they are used, my subjective reactions to them, etc. As the semanticists would say, ‘the map is not the territory’ (for further information see Korzybski, Science and Sanity, 5th Edition, 1994).
    The trouble with ‘freedom’ may therefore be a purely semantic issue. The idea of psychological freedom is generally taken for granted. It seems so obvious; even if you lock me up and take away all my physical freedoms I will always be free in my thoughts. This idea is so culturally ingrained that when philosophical inquiries bring us to the possibility that it may not be true the natural reaction is likely to be one of denial, depression or hostility. Such a reaction is understandable in the sense that a deeply held assumption is being threatened. It is less understandable when you consider the fact that the reality of what I ‘am’ is what it is, existing on the non-verbal level and utterly indifferent to any statements made about it. Rather than beginning with the assertion ‘I am free’ (and getting upset when this idea is challenged) I would be much better to ask ‘am I free?’ As with any question in the form ‘am I X’ the answer will depend on the definition of X. What is freedom? Once again I face semantic difficulties; words are defined using other words, each with their own semantic ambiguities. As I approach some form of definition I must take account of the world around me - I exist in and as a part of the universe; to be free is therefore to be free in and as a part of this universe. My definition must take account of the structure and nature of the universe, not least the question of whether it is deterministic. Logically, if the universe is deterministic - if it is absolutely, unquestionably deterministic - everything therein must be part of a complex network of causality and there can be no possibility of the type of freedom I seek. If the universe is to any extent non - deterministic, my philosophical enquiries will forever be plagued by the intrinsic randomness at some level of reality - in which case even if I succeed in making a case for ‘freedom’, ever more elusive will become the ‘I’ to which I wish to assign such a quality.
    Such is the muddle of circular reasoning thrown up purely by associating the two under-defined terms ‘I’ and ‘free’. By simply recognising that the confusion lies in the structure of the question I can pull the rug from under the whole problem. Am ‘I’ ‘free’? Is ‘X’ ‘Y’? It depends how you define ‘X’ and ‘Y’. In this context not only are the definitions beyond my grasp (an exhaustive definition would require a more complete understanding of the universe than currently available) but the definition of ‘Y’ must be made in terms of ‘X’ (it is assumed that there exists a defined ‘I’ that is able to be ‘free’). The question may therefore be written off as either indeterminable or meaningless.
    So much for freedom. What about consciousness? Is there any more success to be found asking ‘am I conscious?’ We have arrived at the point of departure. All systems have their foundations, the irreducible bases upon which the entire edifice is built. This work takes as its fundamental axiom the proposition ‘I’ am my consciousness. By definition, ‘I’ am conscious. ‘I’ am not just any consciousness, or consciousness in general: ‘I’ am specifically my consciousness, the immediate, irreducible, subjective experience of consciousness-as-revelation constituting my entire existence. I posit the existence of other conscious beings, but I have no proof of their existence. I cannot escape the possibility of solipsism, but at least - at the very least - ‘I’ cannot doubt the reality of my own consciousness. There is at least one conscious being in this universe. ‘I’ am my own validation.
  • Oliver Purvis
    Part 2

Philosophical Despair

The idea of consciousness-as-revelation does not in itself provide an escape from the philosophical despair which may be encountered by prolonged contemplation on the potentially deterministic nature of the mind. Getting to grips with the revelatory nature of consciousness can throw up further difficulties as one encounters the possibility that consciousness is essentially a spontaneous phenomenon and therefore impossible to reconcile with the idea that conscious states, including all thoughts and feelings, somehow exist separate from, possessed by and occurring for a distinct ‘I’. To acknowledge the identity of conscious states with the ‘I’ and their revelatory nature is to reject the validity of the intuitive sense of conscious freedom. Philosophical despair may then arise due to fixation on the idea that the ‘I’ is ‘merely’ an epiphenomenon, an impotent quirk of blind, causal physical processes, and that the absence of conscious freedom removes all possibility of genuine identity, morality or responsibility. I will address these two aspects of the problem individually.

Firstly, the despair arising from the idea of consciousness as ‘merely’ an epiphenomenon. It can be distressing to consider that the mind, being a product of physical and biological processes, cannot in itself have an effect on anything. All thoughts, choices, reactions etc. are produced by these processes; the mind simply occurs as an epiphenomenon, a quirk of the neurological activity - passive, utterly impotent, irrelevant. There would be no effect whatsoever if the epiphenomenon ceased to be (apart from the disappearance of the subjective experience which, no longer existing, could not experience its own absence). The point here is that, epiphenomenon or not, it does exist. ‘I’ am my consciousness: ‘I’ exist. The particular, complex interactions of the various systems and processes comprising my nervous system and supporting tissues somehow produces the emergent (epi)phenomenon of my consciousness. The supposed existence of a neural correlate for every conscious state may be used to argue for the ‘merely’ epiphenomenal nature of consciousness, but this is to ignore another implication: that a change in one sphere (conscious or neurological) is impossible without a corresponding change in the other. Both are part of the same larger system. Worrying that consciousness is determined by neurology is like worrying that the inside curve of a circle is determined by the outer. Yes, the former cannot exist without the latter; but neither can the latter exist without also manifesting the former. To concede that consciousness is part of a greater system extending beyond its own limits and upon which it is dependent is not to invalidate the conscious experience itself. It is simply to acknowledge that consciousness is not autonomous. Stubbornly clinging to the alternative amounts to a form of ‘consciousness chauvinism’, in which case the question remains: how could an idealistic consciousness manipulate the physical world without somehow also being affected by it?
    Epiphenomenalism does not require a rejection of qualities previously attributed to consciousness, but a reallocation of them throughout the broader system of which consciousness is a part. So the functions of the mind seem to be coordinated by the physical brain rather than originating from some non-physical, independent consciousness? Very well. The brain is but one aspect of the greater system, an extended ‘self’. In recognising this I do not detract from the conscious experience but, rather, improve its credibility by identifying potential targets for explaining its revelatory character.

Secondly, the apparent impossibility of real choice, responsibility and morality for consciousness produced by causal physical processes. This may be addressed by distinguishing between local causality and absolute causality. A local system (e.g. a group or individual in a particular situation) is a product of causal processes and is therefore to some extent able to be modelled and have it's future states predicted. The simpler the system, the better it can be modelled and the greater the confidence in the predictions made. With increasing complexity systems become much harder to model, such that uncertainty about their future states increases dramatically with each additional variable. Models of complex systems can have some predictive value but the greater the complexity the more general these predictions become, referring to statistical likelihoods rather than specific, localised events. Predictive accuracy inevitably declines the further into the future the model is projected until, at some point (years, hours, milliseconds later) the predictions are no better than pure guesswork. Even if it was possible to model a system perfectly (every future state predicted with complete confidence) it would still be at the mercy of external influences. The model is only as good as the information it contains; no model can contain all information; variables unaccounted for by the model that influence the system will introduce uncertainty, bringing about unforeseeable changes which, however slight, will drive the drift of the real state away from the modelled state - just ask a weather forecaster.
    A system as complex as the human body - including brain activity - is impossible to model beyond a very generalised level. Throw the body into a real world where it can interact with other people and the environment and the variables skyrocket. Everyday existence is the result of a staggering number of interactions at every scale, from the subatomic through the molecular and into the macroscopic, with system upon system affecting and being affected by each other via chemical, physical, biological, environmental and psychological processes, absolutely unfathomable in its chaotic complexity. Even if the whole is deterministic, it does not mean that any part of it is determinable. It would take a truly godlike intelligence to comprehend all variables such that all future states could be known in advance; anything short of this leaves any conscious entity in a position of relative uncertainty, unable to know for sure what the future will bring, with a decreasing level of confidence in any best guesses the further from the present they are projected.
    The key point is this: determinism does not preclude evolution. In fact, natural selection by survival of the fittest and determinism seem to go hand in hand. Whether ‘fittest’ refers to physical attributes of an organism or the state of an inanimate object, whatever survives - whatever form or function persists where others dissipate or die - these are the realities that go on to influence the world around them. Blind evolutionary processes have shaped humans into creatures capable of discriminatory, goal oriented behaviour. While any given event could be argued to ultimately be the result of deterministic processes, the certain foreknowledge of such an event could only be held by an intelligence vastly more informed than any involved in the causal network of which it is a product. Such an intelligence would need to comprehend every aspect of every process - however far removed from the event - that could influence the outcome in any way. Lacking any evidence of such a hypothetical godlike entity we are left with the everyday reality of conscious beings existing as discrete organisms with imperfect knowledge of themselves and the world around them, for whom events - including the outcomes of their own decision-making processes - cannot be known in advance. The world may be deterministic but it is not determinable. Knowing beings, although they may inhabit an absolutely causal universe, can only model, predict, assume, intuit etc. with any success up to a point, according to their understanding of local causality. For the experiencing consciousness, situations are encountered and decisions made in local terms (i.e. there remains a hypothetical threshold beyond which the existence of specific future decisions cannot be anticipated, let alone decided in advance). Even if the reality is deterministic, the experience of consciousness-as-revelation is one in which changing situations are encountered, assessed and acted upon with relative freedom and with (potentially) anti-entropic behaviour. Short of possessing truly godlike powers of omnipotence, we are all in the same boat; we think, we act, we consider our choices to be successes or failures based on the results they bring. If all this occurs with absolute deterministic inevitability, it is far beyond our ken to truly comprehend the situation as such.
    That is as may be. Nevertheless, it may be argued that all efforts to get around the problem of determinism are futile and self-delusional - if the whole is absolutely deterministic, all experiences of freedom and choice are illusory, however convincing they may seem. This idea can have a significant impact on an individual's state of mind, drawing the thinker into an existential crisis and inducing profound feelings of philosophical despair, depression, hopelessness, worthlessness etc. To experience such a state can feel like having passed a point of no return. Prior to grasping the idea I was ignorant of its ramifications and could not be affected by it; having crossed that intellectual threshold, however, it can seem that the only escape from the sense of universal meaninglessness would be by a return to ignorance - less of an escape than a denial. The situation can become rather desperate.
    However, unless I am rendered completely catatonic by these thoughts I will eventually carry on with my life (even if in a distracted or depressed state). I will move and think as before, with my actions and thoughts characterised by the familiar sense of ownership. Even my most introspective, powerful thoughts on the deterministic nature of my mind and body will feel like my thoughts. Like it or not, I am consciousness-as-revelation, with all the sense of intentionality that entails. Any attempt I make to escape this reality will be as successful as trying to outrun my shadow. I cannot escape my consciousness-as-revelation; I am my consciousness-as-revelation.
    To choose; to decide; to conclude; these events all represent the halting of a mental process, the arrival at an endpoint determined by the thinker. The choice, the decision, the conclusion are characterised by the familiar sense of ownership common to consciousness-as-revelation. For an individual to arrive at the conclusion that consciousness is deterministic and that therefore freedom and choice are illusions is to choose to reject the existence of choice. It is not surprising that holding such a contradictory view about oneself should cause some distress. This is not to say that the conclusion is wrong, but that it is simply not a valid perspective for a conscious being. The experience of choice is part and parcel of consciousness-as-revelation. To experience – to be – consciousness-as-revelation is to experience the sense of ownership of conscious states as they develop according to changing circumstances; the sense of ownership is the basis of the ‘I’, the phenomenon of subjectivity by means of which all experience is possible. Any mental event involving discrimination, however deterministic in absolute terms, is therefore experienced as an aspect of the self, the ‘I’; it is intended. The occurrence of any thought to the exclusion of all others, especially when specific alternatives are apprehended, can only be experienced as a choice, even if in absolute terms it is inevitable.
    Denying the experience of choice amounts to a denial of the ‘I’, or a denial of consciousness. Subjectively, this is a philosophical impasse; I can deconstruct myself no further – if ‘I’ am not conscious, ‘I’ am nothing. To escape from my despair I must choose to accept the reality of my experience of choice; the alternative can only lead to an unfulfilling process of circular reasoning. If my goal is genuinely to escape from my depression by philosophical means I must make this choice, thereby removing the cognitive block to my natural ways of thinking and being. The alternative, considered as an abstract concept, can be fascinating and informative but pragmatically it just doesn’t work.

Morality
    Given the necessity of accepting my experience of choice I must also accept responsibility for the consequences of my choices. A choice is a specific event back to which subsequent causal effects can be traced (although these events are likely the consequences of myriad choices, of which mine plays a greater or lesser role). A different choice may have produced different effects; therefore my choice is at least partially responsible for the resulting reality.
    I cannot deny my responsibility unless I also deny my experience of choice, which is not a viable option. I might make bad choices; I might make wrong choices; I may be misinformed or ignorant about the information on which I base my choices; however, I am still responsible for them. This responsibility provides a foundation for constructing a system of morality. I will not begin to suggest here how such a system should be constructed, apart from recommending that it should be done bearing in mind the limits of our understanding. Our knowledge is imperfect; ideas and beliefs should remain open to examination in the light of new information and be modified or replaced accordingly
  • ff0
    Even if the reality is deterministic, the experience of consciousness-as-revelation is one in which changing situations are encountered, assessed and acted upon with relative freedom and with (potentially) anti-entropic behaviour. Short of possessing truly godlike powers of omnipotence, we are all in the same boat; we think, we act, we consider our choices to be successes or failures based on the results they bring. If all this occurs with absolute deterministic inevitability, it is far beyond our ken to truly comprehend the situation as such.Oliver Purvis

Good point. And the abstract idea of determinism is swamped by the burden of having a choice to make, by the experience of 'illusory' freedom. We act on uncertain knowledge not only of consequences but also of what we actually want. Will this really make us happy? We find out about ourselves via experiment just as we find out about our non-selves, our environment.

For an individual to arrive at the conclusion that consciousness is deterministic and that therefore freedom and choice are illusions is to choose to reject the existence of choice. It is not surprising that holding such a contradictory view about oneself should cause some distress. This is not to say that the conclusion is wrong, but that it is simply not a valid perspective for a conscious being. The experience of choice is part and parcel of consciousness-as-revelation. To experience – to be – consciousness-as-revelation is to experience the sense of ownership of conscious states as they develop according to changing circumstances; the sense of ownership is the basis of the ‘I’, the phenomenon of subjectivity by means of which all experience is possible. Any mental event involving discrimination, however deterministic in absolute terms, is therefore experienced as an aspect of the self, the ‘I’; it is intended.Oliver Purvis

Well said. As I see it, we make sense of the world in terms of postulated necessary relationships. A objects 'nature' is the way it fits in to these relationships. If I put a match to gasoline, flames with spring up. The sun will rise when the app on the iphone says it will. If I swallow bleach, I'll get sick..

For the most part we have something like a desired future possessing our present-tense body like a ghost. Our behavior makes sense forward. Imagine a film of a human doing something complex and strange. It might only make sense at the end, when we see that he ends up with something that all humans value. While the theoretical mode can contemplate objects as fully present with certain subject independent qualities, the living mode (that we usually don't think to find words for) understands objects as 'too heavy' for this or that purpose for instance. Or this jacket doesn't fit right. So the world is loaded with qualities that are invisible to the theoretical mind, since they are functions of a passing purpose and an intensely local and intimate situation.

As long as the philosopher understands himself half-consciously as a sort of scientist, he'll ignore the kind of reality that he actually lives in and obsess over epistemological issues. And epistemology demands an unrealistic picture of language as a set of crisp essences. Objects too have to be considered in there most public modes. Their living qualities (appropriatenesses for passing purposes like too-heavy, too-sweet, too-tight, etc.) are ignored for the quantifiable. Phenomenology was arguably a way to transition to paying attention to lived life within the glamor of the idea of philosophy as science. Philosophy becomes descriptive, poetic.
  • ff0
    Denying the experience of choice amounts to a denial of the ‘I’, or a denial of consciousness. Subjectively, this is a philosophical impasse; I can deconstruct myself no further – if ‘I’ am not conscious, ‘I’ am nothing. To escape from my despair I must choose to accept the reality of my experience of choice; the alternative can only lead to an unfulfilling process of circular reasoning. If my goal is genuinely to escape from my depression by philosophical means I must make this choice, thereby removing the cognitive block to my natural ways of thinking and being. The alternative, considered as an abstract concept, can be fascinating and informative but pragmatically it just doesn’t work.Oliver Purvis

I like this. It reminds me of https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Vocation_of_Man/Part_1

According to the one, I am wholly independent of Nature and of any law which I do not impose upon myself; according to the other, I am but a strictly determined link in the chain of Nature. Whether such a freedom as I have desired be at all conceivable, and, if so, whether there be not grounds which, on complete and thorough investigation, may compel me to accept it as a reality, and to ascribe it to myself, and whereby the result of my former conclusions might thus be refuted;—this is now the question.
    Which of these two opinions shall I adopt? Am I free and independent?—or am I nothing in myself, and merely the manifestation of a foreign power? It is clear to me that neither of the two doctrines is sufficiently supported. For the first, there is no other recommendation than its mere conceivableness; for the latter, I extend a proposition which is perfectly true in its own place, beyond its proper and natural boundary.
    The system of freedom satisfies my heart; the opposite system destroys and annihilates it. To stand, cold and unmoved, amid the current of events, a passive mirror of fugitive and passing forms,—this existence is insupportable to me; I scorn and detest it. I will love;—I will lose myself in sympathy;—I will know the joy and the grief of life. I myself am the highest object of this sympathy; and the only mode in which I can satisfy its requirements is by my actions. I will do all for the best;—I will rejoice when I have done right, I will grieve when I have done wrong; and even this sorrow shall be sweet to me, for it is a mark of sympathy,—a pledge of future amendment. In love only is life;—without it is death and annihilation.

But coldly and insolently does the opposite system advance, and turn this love into a mockery. If I listen to it, I am not, and I cannot act. The object of my deepest attachment is a phantom of the brain,—a palpable and gross delusion. Not I, but a foreign and to me wholly unknown power, acts in me; and it is a matter of indifference to me how this power unfolds itself. I stand abashed with my warm affections, and my virtuous will, and blush for what I know to be best and purest in my nature, for the sake of which alone I would exist, as for a ridiculous folly. What is holiest in me is given as a prey to scorn.
    — Fichte
  • T Clark
    'I' am my consciousness.

Non-conscious aspects of my organism (particularly the unconscious mind, brain, nervous and hormone systems), while essential for the creation and modification of consciousness, are not in themselves the conscious experience. Remove some part of the body, alter the function of the unconscious mind - provided consciousness has not been destroyed by the changes there will remain an experience of self: this is the essential 'I'.
    Oliver Purvis

An interesting and carefully thought out post. Also very long. I've only read the first part.

Anyway, no. I disagree. In my experience the consciousness is not "I" by itself. All those things you enumerate as not being part of "I" are, and more. My thumb and my liver are too. All of me is I. Just to be clear, I don’t mean in any trivial, technical sense. I mean for real. Me experiencing myself is not I, not by itself.

The zombie's usage of the word 'I' would elicit identical responses as before but semantically the word would be empty (for the zombie) - with no conscious 'I' to which it would refer it would be merely one more noise among the many comprising the language, a system of rules blindly applied in complex interactions emulating those of a conscious being.Oliver Purvis

So the poor P Zombie passes the Turing test and that’s not enough? I’m not sure I believe it, but a case could be made that the zombie is still you. Please don’t make me make it.

Consciousness experiences itself as a continuous process.Oliver Purvis

Mine definitely doesn’t.

The process feels intentional; C1 leads to C2 in accordance with my will. For this to be the case successive conscious states must be in some way formulated in those preceding them (otherwise they would seem to spring into existence from nothing).Oliver Purvis

This is completely contrary to my experience. My thoughts, consciousness proceed forward all on their own. They are not willed or intentional. Seems to me that will and intention are created by my thoughts. They often, generally, pop up out of nothing. Not really nothing, but those entities you have identified as not being part of consciousness.

There is no pre-existing ‘I’ to which the conscious experience happens, and to which the ‘I’ will react (with surprise or otherwise). The ‘I’ is the experience, including all the affective and sensory qualities revealed therein (It may be argued that sensory perceptions - which refer often to things beyond the organism - are not part of the ‘I’.Oliver Purvis

I agree with this, although instead of “consciousness experience” I would say “experience of myself.” To me they are not the same.

Most of the time my consciousness progresses without involving a reflection upon the continual revelation of developing states and the passing away of prior ones, but there are frequent occasions when I do experience surprise at the process. An unbidden thought; a long forgotten memory triggered by some sensory experience or arising with apparent spontaneity, perhaps giving rise to further associated memories; the sudden perceptual shift induced by an illusion or magic trick. These kinds of conscious events feel different to the typical conscious experience - a kind of cognitive non sequiturOliver Purvis

To me, these “non sequiturs” are the most important part of consciousness. They are what propel the experience forward, not any act of will. It’s the part of thinking that is the most fun.

They occur (so it seems) because I caused them to occur; they feel like products of my will. It is counterintuitive to consider these thoughts as simply ‘occurring’ in the same manner as ‘unexpected’ or ‘passive’ aspects of the conscious experience, and yet this must be so given that they are part of the conscious experience: consciousness-as-revelation. In a similar way in which ‘unexpected’ thoughts arise containing a conscious sense of surprise, ‘intentional’ thoughts carry a sense of intentionality.Oliver Purvis

By now, you probably won’t be surprised to find out that this is not the way I experience things.

I’ve really enjoyed responding to this. I appreciate the chance to express how I see the experiences you describe. I hope you don’t feel as if I was disrespectful of your ideas.

A suggestion. Your posts are way to long for me, probably anyone on the forum, to respond in any kind of complete way. This is a long response and I’ve only covered part of your first part. There is a lot of thought here. You should break it up into smaller chunks.
  • Oliver Purvis
    Hi,
    Thanks for your thoughts, it is great to get someone else's take on these ideas! It is long, sorry about that. I'm new to this forum (first forum ever actually!) and just thought I'd stick the wholexessay on there to see if I got any feedback. I wrote it about a year ago, put a lot of effort in but never actually showed it to anyone.
    I then sent it to a philosophy expert I found online on the off chance that he would read it and comment, which he did! He was in general agreement with my themes but did point out reasons why it would/should be criticised. He understandably couldn't give a comprehensive breakdown but suggested I put it in a forum like this (Or some of it) to see what responses I got.
    Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.