• JohnLocke
    What type of logical fallacy does this sentence most associate with?

To date, however, characteristic scale is often considered an artificial construct that aids researchers in finding a scale that supports their hypothesis rather than reflecting reality.

I was thinking along the lines of reification of theory - but as far I'm aware, this applies only to psychological theory?

Thanks.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Confirmation bias/cherry picking is one possibility.

If researchers can test out a bunch of different scales to see which one makes their calculations work, they cannot be sure if they have the wrong approach and just coincidentally found a characteristic scale that makes their calculations work.
  • T Clark
    To date, however, characteristic scale is often considered an artificial construct that aids researchers in finding a scale that supports their hypothesis rather than reflecting reality.JohnLocke

I don't know what a "characteristic scale" is.
  • SpacedOut
    Could be false attribution mixed with confirmation bias.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.