• bloodninja
    If they did not then we couldn't speak of a Maori culture, or a Samoan culture for example. It would be unintelligible what we mean by these terms if they were not generally shared. Merely arguing that different Maoris partake in Maori culture to differing degrees or maybe not at all is just irrelevant. Is that your argument?
  • bloodninja
    What do you mean by "related"? This is extremely ambiguous
  • guidance
    "related" "tied to" "defined by" pick one. The definition of culture has nothing to do with race. You just spoke about cultures that can have many different variations of genetics depending on who is born where the culture is practiced. A person born in the culture does not have to have the same genetics as everyone else to be completely tied to that culture being what they were raised around. There are people who have the same genetics all around the world, but even though they look similar their cultures are different all the way down to language and way of life. Race should not be in the definition of culture.
  • bloodninja
    I still dont know what you mean. By "defined by" i take it that you mean determined by. But the definition doesn't say that race determines culture. You are misreading the definition. All it means is that, generally speaking, a group of people who share a race generally also share common customs, social practices and material traits. GENERALLY SPEAKING. In other words, people who share the same race generally also share a common culture.
  • bloodninja
    The definition of culture has nothing to do with race. You just spoke about cultures that can have many different variations of genetics depending on who is born where the culture is practiced. A person born in the culture does not have to have the same genetics as everyone else to be completely tied to that culture being what they were raised around.guidance

I think you need to distinguish between race and genetics Race is social, genetics is science. Moreover, the definition does not mention genetics once.

Craig Venter and Francis Collins of the National Institute of Health jointly made the announcement of the mapping of the human genome in 2000. Upon examining the data from the genome mapping, Venter realized that although the genetic variation within the human species is on the order of 1–3% (instead of the previously assumed 1%), the types of variations do not support notion of genetically defined races. Venter said, "Race is a social concept. It's not a scientific one. There are no bright lines (that would stand out), if we could compare all the sequenced genomes of everyone on the planet." "When we try to apply science to try to sort out these social differences, it all falls apart."bloodninja
  • guidance
    The word general is not in that definition. The definition sates that culture is based on race among other things, not generally based on race and other points, the definitions says it is based on race and other factors. Race is the small variation. It's small, but it's there and just because Venter and Collins want to ignore and down play our differences instead of address how the word race is used it doesn't mean you should. Race is used in to identify people who look different disregarding any of their social qualities. Since race is not used to discuss social behavior it's used to differentiate between people by the way they look. Once again race should not be in the definition of culture.
    Merriam-Webster also defines race (towards the bottom of the page) as: any one of the groups that human beings can be divided into based on shared distinctive physical traits. I know you don't agree with this definition. Should the definition of race be changed?
    I ask this question because dictionary's should be books of fact not contradictions.
  • bloodninja
    The definition sates that culture is based on race among other things, not generally based on race and other points, the definitions says it is based on race and other factors.guidance

You have it back to front. The definition is not saying that culture is based on race, only that distinct racial groups have a shared culture. Are you wanting to deny that there is a Maori culture? You do not have to be a Maori to share in Maori culture, and similarly some Maoris will be indifferent to their own race's culture. Being "genetically" Maori is neither necessary and nor is it sufficient for the culture. The definition does not even suggest or imply this.

Again the definition: Culture is "the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group."

A particular Maori might not share their Maori people's customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits. They thus wouldn't share in Maori culture even though they are Maori. The Maori race is the Maori group of people not an individual Maori person. This is why it is general, because they are referring to a racial group e.g. the Maori people, and not somebody's individual genetics.

I don't have a problem with that definition of race...
  • bloodninja
    Maybe it would be interesting if you gave your view of how we even speak of Maori culture if culture is not related to race? Maori is a race. Putting Maori before culture to get 'Maori Culture' is relating race and culture is it not?
  • guidance
    The way you presenting your argument is that Maori cannot be both a race and seprately a culture that has a core location.
  • guidance
    We disagree on material traits of racial groups. Can you explain to me what those words mean to you. What are material traits of racial groups if not physical distinctions?
  • guidance
    The Maori race is the genetic side. The Maori culture is the location, way of life, social norms etc witch people of various genetics can be apart of if allowed. The main argument I'm still sitting with is the way Merriam-Webster has defined both race and culture. You didn't answer about your thoughts on the way race is defined.
  • bloodninja
    We disagree on material traits of racial groups. Can you explain to me what those words mean to you. What are material traits of racial groups if not physical distinctions?guidance

'Trait' has different meanings. It is a distinguishing characteristic of some kind. A material trait as concerns culture refers to the style of the material cultural features. For example, different cultures have unique architecture, tools, churches, art etc. By material trait they cannot mean 'physical distinctions' since they are also claiming that religious and social groups also have material traits.

The Maori race is the genetic side. The Maori culture is the location, way of life, social norms etc witch people of various genetics can be apart of if allowed.guidance

But why 'Maori Culture'? If race is not related to culture then why call it Maori culture???
  • guidance
    different cultures have unique architecture, tools, churches, art etc
    Exactly cultures have those things not entire races of people. So the word race should not be applied to the definition of culture. Entire races of people share many different cultures. Why do you feel like there must be a different word to separate the Maori culture from the Maori race. A blue hammer and a blue wrench are not the same to you are they? The way you continue to duck the definition of race in the dictionary makes it obvious this conversation was over a long time ago. Now we are just echoing statements we've already made. Have a good night.
  • BC
    It would help if we included "ethnicity" and culture, not just race and culture.

There is a genetic relationship (not overwhelming, but detectable) between Jews named Cohen, Kahn, and Kahane. Why would that be? How would such a thing get started? Before the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans (the Abomination of Desolation), the priesthood of the Temple was hereditary. The families became Cohen, Kahn, and Kahane in the diaspora, and they intermarried often enough to maintain a genetic connection.

Similarly, the Phoenicians. Whatever happened to the Phoenicians? Where did they disappear to? Well, they didn't go anywhere -- they are still in Palestine, the original Palestinians, and they are genetically related. The same is true for Samaritans, another group that has been in Palestine for a long time.

Phoenicians, Samaritans, Jews and more are probably all related if one goes back a thousand years BC.

Families that survived the Great Plagues in Europe, the Black Death, did so partly because of peculiarities in the immune systems. Over the years, the plague survivors interbred often enough to maintain the variant. It is not common now, but descendants of several small European populations that survived the Black Plague are also highly resistant to HIV -- it's the same genetic trait.

Culture doesn't derive from race, ethnicity, or genetics -- or race, ethnicity or genetics from culture, but they all have this much in common: they are passed down through time from parents to children. Why would 4 and 5 year old white children in North America play "ring around the rosie? Because it's been passed on from generation to generation since the plague, when "ring around the rosie" was invented by children surrounded by people sick and dying of the plague.

One might say there are too many generations for the past to survive that way. Not really -- since Christ there have been only about 65 +/- generations; far fewer since the plague.

So, Maori culture has lasted for a long time because the Maori people have been busy reproducing themselves and their culture. Ditto for Tibetan culture, Zulu culture, Jewish culture, and Anglo-Saxon culture. Where family (genetics) and culture get separated more often, one sees a lot more drift -- such as in the United States. Many Americans are cut off from old-world culture and interbreed quite readily with other ethnicities. One of the results of this is that Jews, for instance, are losing cultural continuity--especially among the reformed and conservative Jews. This is less so among the Orthodox, who have (mostly) maintained old-world culture in the US.
  • bloodninja
    Why do you feel like there must be a different word to separate the Maori culture from the Maori race.guidance
    I don't. You do because you say race is not related to culture and then you go and use race to describe a kind of culture. The Maori culture is related to the Maori race in the way that Bitter describes:
    Culture doesn't derive from race, ethnicity, or genetics -- or race, ethnicity or genetics from culture, but they all have this much in common: they are passed down through time from parents to children.Bitter Crank

The reason why it is Maori culture and not corporate culture is because race is significant in this instance. And this is what the definition is saying. I cannot believe you cannot see that
  • BC
    I thought I was agreeing with you. You don't think that race (genes) produce particular cultures do you?
  • bloodninja
    No way I don't think that. I think you and I agree. All I have been trying to do is to show that the Webster definition is not suggesting this, that race (which is more complex that simply genes) produces particular cultures.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.