• Shawn
    I've started reading Seneca's Letters from a Stoic.

I've been finding many allusions and direct quotes to Epicurus in a positive manner. While, it known that Seneca was not the typical Stoic, as he is accused of accumulating wealth to great levels; yet, he makes the case clear that wealth is not something that any man (or woman) ought to be attached to. He makes it clear in his Letters, that wealth or the loss of it would make no difference on his wellbeing and state of mind.

So, what is the contention about with Seneca being an Epicurean Stoic? It would seem to me that both philosophies aren't mutually exclusive. Only the Cynics would have contention with Seneca being a wealthy and true Stoic, it would seem to me. Hence, isn't Cynicism a fringe philosophy in this light, if what they would consider a Stoic to be as close to their welfare than one having wealth and good reputation, such as was the man Seneca, himself?

Thoughts?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.