• Aurora
    Hello, this is my first post. This looks like a great site to be on. I hope it's the right place for me.

I will tell you right now that I am likely not as well read as some of you folks. My "knowledge" of philosophy derives from life experience and being well acquainted with suffering.

Three years ago, I walked out of a very well paying corporate job because my soul didn't want to be there. I have been unemployed... and somewhat at peace... ever since.

I've been heavily influenced by the teachings of Eckhart Tolle and a few powerful quotes by people like Einstein, Thoreau, and Montaigne.

Still trying to figure out what "this" is all about... What's your story?
  • Frank Barroso
    What is this all about? The pursuit of Happiness. What makes you happy? Learning, for a while I went around with full force trying to discover the simple pleasures in life -- the simplest ones you can think of. Then you try your best to live doing those things. Problems come up that try to make you trade your apples for better or rotten apples. You don't really know which one is better till you bite. And, you can't throw away your whole sack if one turns out to be rotten or you'll starve. Sometimes a drastic apple-tossing is necessary but soon after you must fill it with new apples or you'll have nothing to chew on. And when the sky showers lemons instead of apples well, we take lemons too. It's what you got, can't be picky. Now go! You are ready to explore and to try different settings to see if you get more apples or lemons and whether they be rotten, juicy, or very sour lemons.

I'm right there with you. Quit a nice desk job that my entire family was jealous of cuz, ya know, I hate lemons. In a society that values you by how many lemons you catch rather than the quality of the apples you hold, it's difficult. But, one keeps going for the ubermensch or whatever great sacrificial greater-than-yourself work you want to work for. One can do that last step begrudgingly or willingly, cuz once you recognize 'it', most likely, you wont be able to find your old apples even if you tried.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment