• Streetlight
    Welcome to the monthly reading poll, where we vote on what paper we'd like to discuss for the month of February. A nice mix of different subjects this month, and as per usual, last month's runner up is on the list as well.
    1. What do you want to read in January? (16 votes)
        "Pattern and Being", by John Haugeland
        38%
        "Rules for the Human Zoo", by Peter Sloterdijk
          6%
        "Ontology, Matter, and Emergence", by Michel Bitbol
        13%
        "Can One Lead a Good Life in a Bad Life?", by Judith Butler
        19%
        "The Twisted Matrix: Dream, Simulation or Hybrid?", by Andy Clark
          0%
        "Throwing Like a Girl", by Iris Marion Young
        25%
  • Pneumenon
    Ooh! Ooh! The Haugueland paper looks extremely interesting! The relation between patterns and the things that realize those patterns is something I've been fascinated by since I began reading philosophy.
  • Ciceronianus
    Can't let "being" be, it seems.
  • Deleteduserrc

If only someone nominated Basically all of Philosophy is Silly But Here's Just a Few Brief Synopses of Philosophical Schools of Thought, Just The Bare Minimum Necessary To Allow The Reader To Speak Knowingly and Sardonically About Them & How To Pretend This is Pragmatism by Arnold Z. Heideggerwasanazi
  • Ciceronianus
    Ah, you wish to make me sad.

You want to know what is? Read The Light of the World.
  • Deleteduserrc

Just retaliatory measures. You make me sad! I ♥ being and hate to see her scorned.
  • Ciceronianus
    Hell hath no fury like a being-lover scorned? Well, "Let be be the finale of seem." We're in the kitchen with the concupiscent curds. Or Dinah; I'm not sure which. It's not so bad.
  • mcdoodle
    Please, being-frank, please, I have been-adjacent-to to lecture 7 in a ready-at-hand series about being-with Heidegger today and I'm being'd out. I have fallen, I confess I am truly inauthentic and all I crave is my ownmost.
  • Ciceronianus
    Sorry, but only a god (perhaps he caught himself before he said "Fuhrer") can save you.
  • shmik
    We can't escape being. The entities that we are comport ourselves towards our being, in fact we deliver ourselves over to our own being. Our being what-we are, as far as we can speak of it at all must be conceived of in terms of our being.

I will name my first born Toby (pronounced to-be).
  • Streetlight
    Last call for votes!
  • Pierre-Normand
    Note to readers of Haugeland's Pattern and Being:

Haugeland discusses briefly Conway's Game of Life, which had been used by Dennett to illustrate patterns, their recognition, and ontological status. There is a nice wikipedia page on Conway's Game of Life, and one can easily find online simulators just in case some readers aren't familiar with it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.