• T Clark
    It's "smarter than me."TimeLine

Really, is that the best you got? Also, both are acceptable.
  • BC
    Have you, by any chance, heard of or read The Anatomy of Melancholy by ROBERT BURTON (1577–1640)? Wikipedia has an article on the book, Goodreads has reviews, and you can get the book from Project Gutenberg, if you don't want to spend money on a modern annotated text (I don't think I would bother).

It was an assigned text in 17th Century Literature which I took -- God, 50 years ago. I don't remember much about it. But... it is both a discussion of what we would call clinical depression, and a book of far ranging essays.

From wiki... "I write of melancholy by being busy to avoid melancholy" Burton says.

You might, possibly, find it of interest.
  • Nils Loc
    J.L. Borges epigram to his short fiction, The Library of Babel, is from Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy.

“By this art you may contemplate the variation of the twenty-three letters…”

The search for this sentence in Burton's book at least shows that this actually appears in Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy and is not made up by Borges like so many folks have said.

Best to avoid both works and go take a walk in the woods with your girlfriend or boyfriend, like I would if I had one.

What those walks in the woods might bring to the understanding of the variations of love letters and melancholy, one can only imagine.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.