• BlueBanana
    Christianity has plenty to answer for, no doubt. But let's be fair: religion isn't the only player in determining the shape of our contradictions. Social practices, economics, politics, jurisprudence, and so on all apply torque.Bitter Crank

I completely agree with all this. I do think christianity as a centralized religion is the biggest individual force behind it, but that might just be ebcause it's the easiest one to identify.

One thing that is a constant, is that sex always finds a way. Everything from the most boring heterosexually normative sex within the bonds of marriage to exotic polymorphous perversity have all happened over, and over, and over, during every generation to have lived within the Christian sphere of influence (and outside that sphere).Bitter Crank

Well, christianity didn't manage to completely eradicate sex, but I don't think that's because it wasn't against it. Rather, the reason might be more that sexuality is a strong instinct hard wired into our DNA. I think on global scale people on average have had healthier relationships with their sexuality outside that sphere than inside it (which is a claim I can't promise any sources for and that I make based on my intuition).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.