• Another
    I am in search of objective reasoning to my thoughts.

I very often these days find myself cursing that our society are nursing our subjects into righteousness and preciousness.

Righteousness - What rights do we truly have, and does a right to something not need to be earnt?

Does a right to something imply you can do or have something without consequence/repercussions?
    I don't believe this is possible. The nature of action and reaction are unavoidable.

Preciousness-

It seems everyone is so easily offended or disagrees with others actions or ideas and they take a stance where they believe they should not be subjected to such things, All whilst probably offending and disagreeing with another.
    Every group seems to expect recognition and acceptance for their differences all whilst demanding to be treated the same as everyone else.
    It appear to me as blind arrogance, self importance and a plea for double standards but only those which are in favour of the complainant.

I feel that accepting this and leaving it unchecked (which seem to be common place) is creating a culture where everyone feel more depressed Unhappy and hard done by. These feelings are more often than not misplaced yet we seem to nurture them.
    WTF day by day it's getting worse.
  • T Clark
    Righteousness - What rights do we truly have, and does a right to something not need to be earnt?Another

My take, obviously not original - All people are created equal. They are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

And no, they don't have to be earned. I guess they can be taken away, but there has to be justification and process. Not sure about that.

I read a little bit about this. People make the distinction between civil and human rights. I think the claims to rights you find questionable are civil rights. I agree that not every complaint establishes a right. For what it's worth, I think the civil rights movement is the best thing that's ever happened in the United States.
  • Michael
    They are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rightsT Clark

I think both parents deserve credit, not just one of them.

I think the notion of "natural" rights isn't a very clear one. What sort of thing is entitlement? It's certainly nothing like gravity or electricity. Do you have to be something of a Platonic idealist to believe in such a thing?
  • T Clark
    I think both parents deserve credit, not just one of them.Michael

Ha!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.