• praxis
    The End of Growth by Richard Heinberg

Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art, by James Nestor
    A fascinating book, well written, and important for anyone's good health.
  • Maw

Thanks, but I think I'm just going to continue with 18th century stuff for the time being and slowly make my way to fascism and the police (same thing really)

Karl Marx: A Nineteenth-Century Life by Jonathan Sperber
    The Age of Empire: 1875–1914 by Eric Hobsbawm
  • 180 Proof
    Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands... its spirit grows and strengthens. — Carlos Ruiz Zafón 1964-2020

re-reading:

The Shadow of the Wind
  • Streetlight
    Frantz Fanon - Black Skin, White Masks
    Frantz Fanon - Wretched of the Earth

I've put off Fanon for too long, and this couldn't be a more appropriate time. I'm actually so excited.
  • 180 Proof
    "When a bachelor of philosophy from the Antilles refuses to apply for certification as a teacher on the grounds of his color I say that philosophy has never saved anyone. When someone else strives and strains to prove to me that black men are as intelligent as white men I say that intelligence has never saved anyone: and that is true, for, if philosophy and intelligence are invoked to proclaim the equality of men, they have also been employed to justify the extermination of men." ~Frantz Fanon

Better late than never, comrade! :fire:
  • Sunlight
    How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
  • Pantagruel
    Sybil: the Two Nations, by Benjamin Disraeli, the original novel of Victorian class struggle.

Sartor Resartus was a fantastic read, I'd highly recommend for anyone who truly loves the english language.

edit. Also finished Economy and Society, which was a grind. I'll move on to Dewey's Human Nature and Conduct, which should rather be a treat.
  • Baden
    Frantz Fanon - Black Skin, White MasksStreetlightX

Also reading. :up:

Read that. Yeah, fascinating. Have my doubts about some of the science in the book but an idea definitely worth pursuing.
  • praxis

It convinced me to become a dedicated nose breather. I had already been doing some breath work in meditation over the last few years but have stepped it up after reading the book, with the immediate goal of no longer snoring, for my wife's sake :grimace:, which is supposedly an attainable goal with the various practices and techniques outlined in the book.
  • Streetlight
    Also reading.Baden

Man, the 5th chapter just... explodes. I wasn't expecting it. Wow.
  • Pantagruel
    Capital: Volume III
  • Baden

Ah, cool. I'm just near the end of chapter 4 now. :party:

That and more, I think. I started the hypoxic running today. Weird to run while feeling like you're suffocating but then you kind of get used to it and I can see potential. Good to be reminded that you have a body and not just a head full of thoughts.
  • praxis

I've been practicing that with swimming, taking 5-9 strokes between breaths at a moderate pace. Can feel a slight headache sometimes.
  • Baden

If you get an embolism or something from it, please let me know so that doesn't happen to me. :victory:
  • praxis
    Still have what's left of my brain cells. :up:

The Infinite Game, by Simon Sinek

Supreme Inequality: The Supreme Court's Fifty-Year Battle for a More Unjust America, by Adam Cohen

Contrary to the popular belief that the Supreme Court is a champion of justice for the people, according to Cohen, the Supreme Court has always supported the rich and powerful except for a relatively short period around the 60' known as the 'Warren Court', when it had a liberal majority. Nixon somewhat underhandedly ended that majority and conservatives have been strategically maintaining it ever since. For some reason liberals look at it like a game of chance or something, and conservatives are playing chess.
  • Streetlight
    Ronald Bogue - Deleuze on Literature
  • DrOlsnesLea
    Paul Collier - The Future of Capitalism. Perhaps better than Thomas Piketty.
  • Pantagruel
    Talcott Parsons - The Structure of Social Action, Volume I
  • Juliet
    Nikolai Chernyshevsky - What Is to Be Done?
    Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
    Noam Chomsky - Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order
  • Streetlight
    Bernard Cache - Earth Moves: the Furnishing of Territories
  • _db
    Just finished Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Never read it back in secondary education. I liked it a lot.
  • Pantagruel
    Just finished Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Never read it back in secondary education. I liked it a lot.darthbarracuda

Steinbeck is brilliant. :up:
  • Streetlight
    Achille Mbembe - On the Postcolony
    Achille Mbembe - Critique of Black Reason
    Achille Mbembe - Necropolitics
  • Azimuth
    Boiler room essentials - High pressure boilers
  • Lucas Relvas
    The Cambridge Companion to the Stoics

and Batman
  • Maw
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Fall of the House of Labor: The Workplace, the State, and American Labor Activism, 1865–1925 by David Montgomery
    Trying to finish Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel
  • praxis
    The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus

Sunset Park by Paul Auster
  • praxis
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster

A Handbook for New Stoics by Massimo Pigliucci
  • Noble Dust
    The Upanishads
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.