• Noble Dust
    VALIS - Philip K. Dick :-O

Should I be worried by the fact that I can't put this one down?
  • Hand In Hand
    The next book I buy is an art book.
  • Streetlight
    Luciano Floridi - Information: A Very Short Introduction (this was so incredibly average)
    Lila Gatlin - Information Theory and the Living System
    Dorion Sagan & Eric Schneider - Into the Cool: Energy Flow, Thermodynamics, and Life
  • Wosret
    The Iliad (third time, damn it's so good)
    The Hero with a Thousand faces (thought it was a little starry eyed)
    Currently Divine Comedy (tons of allusions to classical literature, and all poetic af, quiet good).
  • Noble Dust
    Finished Philip K Dick's VALIS last night. That shit is whack.
  • Agustino
    Too much literature, where's them philosophy books?
  • Wosret

I've read most of them already (and haven't reread anyone besides Nietzsche and Kant, the best ones), besides stuff that came out in like the last hundred and fifty years or so, but few actually significant people have in my view.
  • Agustino
    few actually significant people haveWosret
    Few actually significant people have done what? Read philosophy you mean, or?

Nietzsche and Kant, the best onesWosret
    For some reason, I remember Aristotle used to be your favorite. I've never read a lot of Kant, he produced so many works. CPR, Prolegomena, and the Critique of Practical Reason are all I've read.
  • Wosret

Do you genuinely misunderstand that, or trying to get me back on some grammatical error? It won't be hard to find one, but I really wasn't sure if you meant that other thing didn't make sense to me, but this is grammatically fine, it seems.

I said that I read most of them, besides within the last century, but few significant people have (come out in the last century or so).

Aristotle is still like third, he's super awesome too, but I just hadn't come to appreciate and fully absorb the other two yet. I used to think that Plato was a total ass too, but I've gotten more appreciation for him. I might even as well for moderns if I bothered with them.
  • Agustino
    Do you genuinely misunderstand that, or trying to get me back on some grammatical error?Wosret
    I don't bother about grammatical errors lol, why so paranoid? :P I just misunderstood.

but few significant people have (come out in the last century or so).Wosret
    Ok got you now. I would agree, mostly it's just Heidegger/Wittgenstein within the last century, though some people also give greater importance to folk like Russell.

I used to think that Plato was a total ass too, but I've gotten more appreciation for him.Wosret
    Strange, I always liked Plato, simply because he is fun to read generally. A very cool way to read philosophy, the dialogues that is.

Aristotle is still like third, he's super awesome too, but I just hadn't come to appreciate and fully absorb the other two yet.Wosret
    Yeah, I quite like A and K myself, not sure about Nietzsche though. I used to really like him when I first read him, but ever since then, I don't find his ideas as revolutionary as I first found them. Birth of Tragedy is probably my favourite of his works, don't much like BGE, TSZ, or Genealogy that much (nor Human all too human, or Twilight of the Idols for that matter :P ). Birth of Tragedy is good for the "discovery" of the Dyonisian element and the role it plays.
  • Wosret

I'm paranoid because I have trust issues.

I've read some of Witgenstein, Russel, Dewey, Levinas, De Beauvoir, Whitehead, Popper, Derrida... hmmm, um, maybe a few more, but those are all I can think of. From what I know of Heidegger, I would never read that asshat.
  • Jamie
    Nearly finished The Antichrist by Nietzsche.
  • Marty
    Since I'm bad at finishing books, I read books here and there, particularly focused on these:

The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism by Vincent B. Leitch
    Schelling's Idealism And Philosophy Of Nature by Joseph L. Esposito
    The Death of Nature: Women, Ecology, and the Scientific Revolution by Carolyn Merchant
    John McDowell by Tim Thornton
    The Phenomenon of Life: Toward a Philosophical Biology by Hans Jonas
    The Wholeness of Nature : Goethe's Way Toward a Science of Conscious Participation in Nature by Henri Bortoft
  • S
    Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
    John Polkinghorne
  • S
    Hmm... this looks complicated:

hn18znlq3v4qta9j.jpg

Although, I was warned:

ka8g9h34i6wdhhmg.jpg
  • Streetlight
    I too, am having a whale of a time over here.

jt7gvrghkiwc0ryu.jpg
  • fdrake

Enjoying studying stats?
  • Streetlight
    Surprisingly yes, lol. She's basically using information theory to look at the differing distributions of DNA bases across different subphyla in order to see how measures of informational efficiency - measures of entropy! - can help us shed light on life and evolution. So far anyway. Now about to start a chapter on game theory. It's actually facinating.
  • fdrake

What's the book?
  • Streetlight
    Lila Gatlin - Information Theory and the Living System
  • Pierre-Normand
    Didn't have Gulag Archipelago on Kindle. This is pretty good though. Also got a sample of Street's Oyama ontogeny of info recommend.Baden

Gulag Archipelago is autobiographical, of course, and very good. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is awesome. You might enjoy Cancer Ward, also, which is semi-autobiographical and set towards the end of the Stalinist era.
  • Pierre-Normand
    John McDowell by Tim ThorntonMarty

This is a fantastic introduction to John McDowell's thought. Maximilian de Gaynesford also wrote such an introduction, which is quite good though not as accurate as Thornton's one.
  • Baden

Cheers, Pierre. (Y)
  • Marty
    Cool. I'm actually struggling with this one a bit. Glad to know there's another one to turn to. Either that or I might have to start over.
  • Streetlight
    The Invisible Committee - The Coming Insurrection
    The Invisible Committee - To Our Friends
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Co-Dependent No More
    for the fourth time? Fifth time? Aww never mind, I should have it memorized by now.
  • Aurora
    Drinking - A love story, by Caroline Knapp
  • Streetlight
    Christopher DeWolf - Borrowed Spaces: Life Between the Cracks of Modern Hong Kong

A strangely perfect follow-up to my Invisible Committee reads. Perhaps every city in the world needs a book like this.
  • Streetlight
    Nick Lane - The Vital Question: Why is Life the Way it Is?
    Peter Hoffman - Life's Ratchet: How Molecular Machines Extract Order from Chaos
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.