• Philo Sofer
    Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 14-page document that may be found at:

http://philosofer123.wordpress.com

In the first five pages of the document, I present and defend a number of philosophical positions, starting with atheism and culminating with negative hedonism (roughly, the view that peace of mind should be one's primary goal). The remainder of the document is devoted primarily to ways to achieve and maintain peace of mind.

I am sharing my philosophy in order to solicit feedback so that it may be improved. I look forward to a constructive discussion.
  • _db
    I seem to recall reading something like this. Are you over at Reddit?
  • Pierre-Normand
    This document expresses your stances on several separable philosophical topics (e.g. atheism, free will and hedonism). No doubt, you wish to integrate those stances into a coherent whole. However, for purpose of discussion in this forum, might it not be better to discuss them in separate threads? (Maybe no more than one or two at a time).
  • Philo Sofer
    Darth: Yes, I have posted my philosophy on Reddit in the past.

Pierre: Thank you for the suggestion, but I would rather leave it open to the reader to discuss any part or parts of the document they wish. Also, as you note, the different parts of the document are integrated into a coherent whole.
  • BC
    You have a great many bullet points in your philosophy of life. If I asked you to speak for 20 minutes about what your philosophy of life is -- without any notes -- how many of the specific bullet points do you think would be included in your talk?

Supposing World War III begins while you are reading this. Nuclear warfare leaves the world without electricity or electric machinery. Very bad. Now, more than before, you are interested in developing a philosophy of life, but writing just got more difficult. You don't have a typewriter, you don't have much paper at all (just a a few sheets and some scraps) and a couple of pencils. You might have to write your philosophy out on sand, wood, or stone.

What is the shortest -- and most compelling -- way for you to describe your philosophy of life?
  • Philo Sofer
    "What is the shortest -- and most compelling -- way for you to describe your philosophy of life?"

Don't worry; be happy.
  • _db
    Easier said than done, unfortunately. :(
  • Philo Sofer
    "Easier said than done, unfortunately."

Which is why the document contains abundant advice on how to not worry and be happy.
  • _db
    Oh, no doubt, I saw some of your advice. It's just that some of us aren't exactly "normal" when it comes to neurobiology and have problems with severe anxiety, panic, depression, etc.
  • Philo Sofer
    "It's just that some of us aren't exactly "normal" when it comes to neurobiology"

If the problem is neurobiological, then medication may be needed.
  • _db
    Already done. Life has its ups and downs, with or without medication.
  • mcdoodle
    To take one point: I hold you responsible for the document outlining your philosophy. Do you accept your own responsibility? How does 'ultimate responsibility' fit into this?
  • Philo Sofer
    "To take one point: I hold you responsible for the document outlining your philosophy. Do you accept your own responsibility? How does 'ultimate responsibility' fit into this?"

If the regress argument for ultimate responsibility impossibilism is sound, then I cannot be ultimately responsible for creating the document.
  • _db
    Just thought I'd point out that you can quote other people on this board by highlighting the text.
  • mcdoodle
    If the regress argument for ultimate responsibility impossibilism is sound, then I cannot be ultimately responsible for creating the document.Philo Sofer

But what then would the value be in discussing it with you? Are you not accepting responsibility for your views, or just not accepting 'ultimate' responsibility?
  • Agustino
    You posted this document even on old PF. Stop discussing your philosophy and start living it.
  • Philo Sofer
    But what then would the value be in discussing it with you?mcdoodle

So that I may improve the document. Making improvements does not imply any sort of responsibility.
  • mcdoodle
    So that I may improve the document. Making improvements does not imply any sort of responsibility.Philo Sofer

There is no value for me, though, in that, since to me, if you disclaim responsibility for your own writings, they are inauthentic. The least it's reasonable to expect is an existential commitment on your part to your side of a debate.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.