• Fuji
    Greetings!

I am a high school student that is directly heading towards the A-levels and as part of my final exams we have to prepare a presentation in one subject, which is Philosophy (+ Poltical Science) in my case.

So, I am very interested in the concept of (Left-wing) Accelerationism. Correct me if I am wrong, it is the idea to overcome capitalism by accelerating scientific and social progress through dissolving the boundaries of capitalism and neoliberalism. Even more broadly speaking, it is a concept on how to reach a future society that is said to benefit (or save) humanity.

My teacher states it would be 'too poltical' and I should include another major philosophical theory. And here is the problem. Since I don't know many more philosophical theories than the ones we had in class, I struggle to find an appropiate one which can be used to explain and/or be compared or opposed to accelerationism.

(Speculative) Realism, pragmaticism, nihilism...? I don't know.

I would really appreciate a helpful answer! :)

• Shawn

You can piggy-back over what modern techno-utopians think about this concept manifest in the form of super-intelligent AI, called the singularity. Or you can provide some economic analysis of the deflationary power of technology on most realms of life.

There's a lot of material; but, I don't have the expertise to recommend any books that would serve that goal. Try reading some of Ray Kurzweil's books on the concept of a 'singularity'.
  • Shawn
    Oh, and to answer your question, I'd say something of the sort of 'logical positivism', 'scientific positivism'...
  • Fuji

Thank you very much for your quick responses!
    I will definitely take a look into what you've proposed.
  • CavacavaAccepted Answer
    Nick Land dismisses left acceleration/right acceleration for unconditional acceleration. Here is his latest statement.

Read him with a grain of salt.
  • fdrake
    @Fuji

What got you interested in accelerationism?
  • Cavacava

delete, sorry didn't see it was addressed to Fuji
  • fdrake

That's ok, Ray Brassier is the usual answer. ;)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.