• Shawn
    In economics, Adam Smith coined the term (rather unintentionally) 'the invisible hand' of economics that drives all the efficiency gains and progress entailed by using the market to mediate and satisfy human wants and needs. The rather recent advent of the market entity has led to enormous prosperity and growth due to mostly satisfying wants and needs via market forces. However, the market is not infallible and what might be profitable in the short term might not bring positive results in the long run, such as the burning of fossil fuels and climate change, ozone depletion by CFC's (now banned, fortunately), and neglecting the plethora of externalities that can't be foreseen immediately at the time.

However, if the market isn't infallible and can lead to undesirable outcomes, then don't we need an entity (most likely from within a government, run by scientists) to tell us what options that the 'invisible hand' provides to us as the most efficient and safe in the long run. Sure, Keynes said that in the long run we're all dead; but, this doesn't apply to governments. This is a problem that challenges the fundamental free-market ideology that dominates at this time. We can now see the result of this lack of regulation in our modern times with new challenges that we will have to face with climate change. Not to politicize the issue; but, who would have foreseen that investing so heavily in defense would have lead to the internet or the Manhattan Project leading to abundant peace, power, and prosperity. Yes, markets can provide solutions; but, it ultimately depends on the government to declare what options are of the most utility to all participants of the economy, and this entails the whole world and future as well.

Basically, what I'm asking is whether science can be guided to solve our human needs and problems. Such as cheap and abundant energy instead to let things sort themselves out via the 'invisible hand' with consequences having to be dealt with further down along the road?
  • szardosszemagad
    It is extremely hard to predict the future and you ask whether it can be done.

In my opinion it can't. If you plan long enough into the future, scientifically or otherwise, there are so many unknowns that will creep in into your world view on which you base your predictions, that your model will eventually fail.

The question whether science can "iron out" successfully all snags and not create new ones, is ultimately an empirically decided question. We can't predict the future, whether it will be successful or un- for our purposes of investigation.

Like you said, entropy will ultimately prevail, and everything will slowly come to a grinding halt... never to halt, but to approach a halted state in time infinite.
  • Noble Dust

Can science be guided? (yes, I did read your post). By what, an ideology?
  • Shawn
    By what, an ideology?Noble Dust

Tough question. I'm pretty much against that term; but, a political ideology is surely not something that provides any utility in addressing problems that only science can solve.
  • Jake Tarragon
    Science can be used to achieve goals -incl social and economic ones. The problem is in getting politicians to state their goals.
  • fishfry
    Run by scientists. LOL. Which scientists? The Lysenkoists? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
  • Shawn
    Or adhere to them.
  • Shawn
    Well, if all economists were scientists, no problem then?
  • mcdoodle
    Basically, what I'm asking is whether science can be guided to solve our human needs and problems. Such as cheap and abundant energy instead to let things sort themselves out via the 'invisible hand' with consequences having to be dealt with further down along the road?Posty McPostface

I think you are positing that science is at present largely unguided. Do you think this is justified? It seems to me already highly guided by governments, sources of finance, and prevalent norms.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.