• Mattioso
    Hi all,

I'm by no means a philosopher, nor am I one who tends to spend much of my time considering these ideas, but someone recently introduced me to a concept that I can't seem to get out of my mind and need to read up on further.

I'm sure I am butchering the idea, but a friend of mine explained to me the idea that "everything that happens is 0's and 1's, all that really matters is how you use and respond to information".

I find it hard to adequately explain what I mean (see "not a philosopher"), but the idea was predominantly grounded in a sort of fluidity in positives and negatives. Bad and good things that happen in life are not inherently one or the other, the after-effect and responses one has is what attributes the label, thereby allowing the individual to somewhat distort the event without necessarily influencing it.

If this makes sense to anybody who is able to give me some names & books I'd be very grateful. I'm sure there was a name attributed to the idea, but any similar sounding suggestions and ideas are welcome

Thanks all

Matt
  • Galuchat
    I find it hard to adequately explain what I mean (see "not a philosopher"), but the idea was predominantly grounded in a sort of fluidity in positives and negatives. Bad and good things that happen in life are not inherently one or the other, the after-effect and responses one has is what attributes the label, thereby allowing the individual to somewhat distort the event without necessarily influencing it. — Mattioso

It reminds me of the operation of empathy, which informs the ethical interpretation of social situations.
  • MikeL
    It seems a little commonsensical that we asign the meaning of our experiences to our experiences doesn't it? Like when I'm stuck behind a slow car, I sometimes think, this person is actually saving me from the cop up the road, or from the oncoming semi that's about to lose control 500m (yards for you Americans) further along. So it's a positive value. Of course when I know that the rerun of MASH is about to start.... well.

Isn't it the Quantum Computer that has the superposition of O and 1? Either, Or, And That's a bit like us I guess.
  • praxis
    Maybe NLP (neuro linguistic programming)
  • Jeremiah
    I'm by no means a philosopherMattioso

Then you should fit in around here.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.