• Eric Wintjen
    I have always struggled with motivation, and I've never really had many people to open up to, so it lead me on long sessions of introspection, and here is what I found.

My lack of motivation seems to stem from a lack of ability to act in my own best interest, instead acting in the best interests of those I love. My inability to act out of my own self interest comes from my complete lack of a sense of self. I feel as though I am an observer of my own life, not a participant. I feel as though I am some ethereal consciousness that acts through "me"(yes i know this sounds religious, but it is not, it is simply the best way I can describe it). My internal thoughts are fuzzy when in situations that require me to speak my mind, but they are clear and completely independent of my outward appearance when I am left alone.
  • T Clark
    You sound depressed. This is a dangerous website to bring depression to. With the exception of a very few people, philosophy is more likely to tie your feelings up in knots than it is to bring clarity. Most advice you get here will come from other introverted, self-involved people.
  • Shawn
    You sound depressed. This is a dangerous website to bring depression to. With the exception of a very few people, philosophy is more likely to tie your feelings up in knots than it is to bring clarity. Most advice you get here will come from other introverted, self-involved people.T Clark

What makes you say that? I can speak from personal experience and assert that a lot of philosophy manifests from a feeling of existential angst or despair. But, that certainly isn't the entirety of philosophy. If one fixates on that, then yes, then there could be a self-perpetuating mental filter that just feeds on itself.
  • T Clark
    What makes you say that? I can speak from personal experience and assert that a lot of philosophy manifests from a feeling of existential angst or despair. But, that certainly isn't the entirety of philosophy.Posty McPostface

Of course not all of philosophy deals with angst and despair, but a lot of it does and depressed people are vulnerable. A lot of the people who populate this site are, as I said, introverted and self-involved. When you're feeling down, go somewhere happy. Don't hang around here. Call your sister. Get her to invite you over for dinner so you can play with your nieces.
  • Shawn
    Of course not all of philosophy deals with angst and despair, but a lot of it does and depressed people are vulnerable. A lot of the people who populate this site are, as I said, introverted and self-involved. When you're feeling down, go somewhere happy. Don't hang around here. Call your sister. Get her to invite you over for dinner so you can play with your nieces.T Clark

While I agree that philosophy does require some sense of sensitive mind and introspective mind, it certainly isn't a sine qua non to practice philosophy. I have spent quite a while interacting with many people here and on the previous Philosophy Forums and also noticed that people tend to fall into some sort of trap of self-enamorment/narcissism with pessimistic and nihilistic philosophies. I even professed your rationale of discouraging going into philosophy and entertaining the pessimism of Schopenhauer or what I understand the self-hating philosophy of Nietzsche, which is externalized in terms of blaming others instead of oneself, due to doing this myself when I first started philosophy.

But, philosophy is more than that, and surely anyone with a rational mind knows that after spending a decent amount of time entertaining various philosophies of great minds.
  • T Clark
    But, philosophy is more than that, and surely anyone with a rational mind knows that after spending a decent amount of time entertaining various philosophies of great minds.Posty McPostface

I like philosophy and I like participating in this forum. Eric, you are welcome here. But this is not the place to come to learn to deal with depression. Posty - it will surprise me if you don't agree with that.
  • Shawn
    I like philosophy and I like participating in this forum. Eric, you are welcome here. But this is not the place to come to learn to deal with depression. Posty - it will surprise me if you don't agree with that.T Clark

I'm surprised you hold such prejudice against philosophy. Coming from someone who admires Wittgenstein's therapeutic philosophy. Speaking for myself, here.

I've found deep comfort in philosophy, much of which is devoid in the everyday world.
  • T Clark
    I'm surprised you hold such prejudice against philosophy. Coming from someone who admires Wittgenstein's therapeutic philosophy. Speaking for myself, here.

I've found deep comfort in philosophy, much of which is devoid in the everyday world.
    Posty McPostface

So we're both surprised.
  • Shawn
    Perhaps we've reached an impasse; but, isn't the practice of doing philosophy a form of therapy?
  • deletedmemberwy
    My lack of motivation seems to stem from a lack of ability to act in my own best interest, instead acting in the best interests of those I love. My inability to act out of my own self interest comes from my complete lack of a sense of self.Eric Wintjen
    I think that since you acknowledge that you feel "unmotivated" because you do not act in your "own best interest" that you actually do have a very clear sense of self. Do you feel as if others are stealing your motivation because they demand so much from you?

My internal thoughts are fuzzy when in situations that require me to speak my mind, but they are clear and completely independent of my outward appearance when I am left alone.Eric Wintjen
    That happens to me all the time. It is more of an introverted thing I think, not necessarily a result of lack of motivation or depression.
  • Eric Wintjen
    I think that since you acknowledge that you feel "unmotivated" because you do not act in your "own best interest" that you actually do have a very clear sense of self. Do you feel as if others are stealing your motivation because they demand so much from you?
    @Lone Wolf

No, I dont if anything its the opposite, I feel like the only reason I have any motivation is because of my desire to please those I love.
  • MikeL
    You sound depressed. This is a dangerous website to bring depression to. With the exception of a very few people, philosophy is more likely to tie your feelings up in knots than it is to bring clarity. Most advice you get here will come from other introverted, self-involved people.T Clark

I disagree with that statement. Philosophy itself might have some dull books on the shelf, but this is a great place to be. We on the Philosophy Forum love to talk about all sorts of stuff. If you're feeling down on yourself all the time, my suggestion might be to look for a lack of alignment between your heart and your mind. Take some time to listen to your heart. Then speak from it and stuff everybody else. It takes a few goes to get right, but once you have it, it will be a strong guide. Be true to that and it won't steer you too far wrong. Happiness, or at least contentment, will follow.
  • T Clark
    Take some time to listen to your heart. Then speak from it and stuff everybody else. It takes a few goes to get right, but once you have it, it will be a strong guide. Be true to that and it won't steer you too far wrong. Happiness, or at least contentment, will follow.MikeL

Good advice for life for people who are a bit down but generally on an even keel. Probably not particularly helpful for someone who is clinically depressed. They have too much at stake and the people on this site have nothing. A potentially dangerous situation.
  • MikeL
    and the people on this site have nothingT Clark

Hey, speak for yourself.
  • T Clark
    Hey, speak for yourself.MikeL

Nothing at stake in the other person's life.
  • deletedmemberwy
    No, I dont if anything its the opposite, I feel like the only reason I have any motivation is because of my desire to please those I love.Eric Wintjen

Then if it is others who motivate you, then would it not be in your own best interest to please them? By pleasing those you love, then you would be able to please yourself by bringing them joy and happiness.
  • XanderTheGrey
    If you lack motivation, I would focus on the mechanics of momentum. You have desire for sure, yes? You can perhaps use a perpetuation of momentum to succeed. Simply learn how to gain and perpetuate your momentum.

When you wake up before the start of the day, your momentum is 0.
  • Rich
    I have always struggled with motivation, and I've never really had many people to open up to, so it lead me on long sessions of introspection, and here is what I found.Eric Wintjen

Everyone has challenges in their lives of different sorts. All are unique to the individual's evolving self. There are no shortcuts. Everything takes time to learn.

You have a particular challenge. You have to do figure it out. No one else can. But you can ask for some ideas, and since you asked, I'll share with you this idea. Find something new in the arts that might like to do. Maybe dancing, drawing, music, singing, whatever, and begin to study it for your own enjoyment. Or you can read literature, write poetry, adopt a new hobby like poetry or cooking or play a new sport.

Do just a little every day. Just a little and gradually do more and more. Step by step. It may be a lifetime learning process, but slowly you may learn too enjoy things on your own for yourself. Have patience.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment