• MPen89
    Browsing around Youtube I watched a video titled 'Christopher McCandless Is No Longer My Hero'. I don't know why watched the video because i've haven't seen the movie 'Into the Wild' or read the book. However, the vlog flashed the phrase 'Happiness Only Real When Shared', which a quick Google search reveals that it is one of the main revolutions of the story. The reason i Googled the phrase after seeing it flash up on the Vlog is because i instantly disagreed with it.

Now, like i said, i haven't seen the movie and so don't understand the path that led him to this Philosophy, and like any philosophy i'm happy to let the thinker have their own views as long as i am able to respectfully disagree - and in this case i do. However, reading so many posts on different forums it is clear that so many people agree with this philosophy and will not accept that unshared happiness has any meaning - rendering it unreal. And rather than trying to fight the internet i thought it more constructive to head over to PF to hear your thoughts (slightly baffled that this subject has not been posted about already considering the popularity of the movie and the discussions on other forums).

To me it's obvious, irrefutable, absolutely discernible that happiness can be just as real to the lone soul as it is to two souls sharing the same moment. I'd also say that happiness is just as real when you experience something for yourself and never share that experience in conversation with another person. I remember a paragraph from the book 'The End of Absence' in which the author is standing on top of the Eiffel Tower watching a sunset, and he feels a pang of loneliness. To overcome this, he takes a photo of the sunset (perhaps even a selfie) and sends it to his husband (not a typo). He then goes on to explain how he then felt like his experience was now somehow a little cheaper, somewhat ruined that he couldn't just be in the moment and experience happiness.

Of course, i understand the phrase - happiness [is] only real when shared - i've had moments in which i wish someone was there by my side to share my happiness. But, as i've grown older and formed my own philosophy of happiness, i've learned to embrace said feeling - souls by my side or not. Not only am i experiencing the things that are happening around me, i am also experiencing myself from the inside. It comes down to that old saying, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make any sound? Granted, trees don't have ears so they don't hear themselves fall, but when a human falls and cuts his or her knee open, we certainly feel the pain from the fall and the negative emotion that are associated with that pain regardless of whether someone else is there to witness it. Why then, would happiness be any different?
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    If it is not real happiness then what is it? Delusion?
  • James McGhee
    I completely agree with the notion of your post. Happiness is probably the one thing that every one of us desires most. There are different ways in which one can make other people happy which will help to make a huge change in the others life. One of my friends suggested me to pop over here to take part in the mission humanitaire, where one can volunteer to help the needy ones and bring happiness in their life.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'd also say that happiness is just as real when you experience something for yourself and never share that experience in conversation with another person.MPen89

I would agree with you on the happiness being just as real when you experience it alone and never share it. I think maybe for me it is a feeling of 'contentment' than it is for "happiness" as happiness is a feeling and it can and usually is fleeting where being content where you are, with who you are is a much more solid position to aspire to. Thoughts?
  • gloaming
    Many people say things fatuously thinking that they sound enlightened and important. They haven't thought them through, or think so little of the reader/listener that they leave it arcane and abstruse and for those others to figure out for themselves. Context is everything, though, and I haven't seen the film or read anything else about it. I might be missing something quite obvious, something that helps to make his 'maxim' make a lot of sense.

As it stands for me, it doesn't ring true. I have many delirious moments that I cannot share without a great deal of effort. Also, I learned early in life to be contented. That goes a long way to being happy. (Thanks, Mom!!) To me, happiness is an internal condition. It can be shared, but it needn't be.

Or, would our author need to say the same thing about sadness?
  • Vince
    Reading the book or watching the movie might help explain the context. Christopher McCandless wasn't a philosopher and the quote is just a note he scribbled for himself on his journals while he was alone in the Alaskan wilderness. I think what he was getting at was that happiness is more intense when you can share it. Would you rather be by yourself to watch your favorite sports team win, or be with a group of friends?
    Christopher McCandless tried to escape the negative aspects of civilization and social life by giving it up all together, to actually find out that he needed a bit of it.
    He was found dead in an abandoned bus somewhere in Alaska.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.