• Shawn
    As the title states.

Thoughts and ideas?
  • BC
    I think people are born with a bent toward pessimism or optimism, and I doubt they will have much luck deliberately converting themselves to the opposite. However, people may change, and if they do, I think they probably can't take much personal credit for it. Like, maybe a tiny little tumor begins growing in the "That will never work" gyrus or the "What a great idea" sulcus of the limbic system and produces a gloomier or sunnier take on the future. I, for instance, have unaccountably become more optimistic and cheerful in the last few years. Probably a tumor. Or early alzheimers.
  • Shawn
    I, for instance, have unaccountably become more optimistic and cheerful in the last few years. Probably a tumor. Or early alzheimers.Bitter Crank

Sounds good. Let me know how I can get or adopt said tumor.
  • schopenhauer1
    As the title states.

Thoughts and ideas?
    Posty McPostface

I have always made the distinction between pessimism (small "p") and Pessimism (capital "P"). Philosophical Pessimism is the idea that the human condition is inherently negative. Schopenhauer, for example, thought that the humans, at root, have insatiable desires that are never satisfied, creating a suffering and angst. Along this idea is instrumentality, the repetitious, absurd nature of our repeated goals, desires, and personalities that unify an otherwise absurdly senseless world. It is the hamster in the wheel. Pleasure, self-actualization, learning, achievement, scientific/technological innovation, aesthetics, humanities, and relationships and the anticipation of getting all this are the main reasons why people have hope and feel a sense of life's worth. Pessimism questions if life's structural insatiable desires related to survival and boredom, and instrumental repetitious absurdity, along with the harms of circumstantial suffering (all the usual harms that may befall someone) is worth it.
  • TheMadFool
    The truth is, there's more suffering than happiness in the world. So, pessimism seems almost obvious.

An optimist, on the other hand, has to overvalue happiness to suffering to support his position.

So, it's easier to go from optimism to pessimism than the other way round.
  • Agustino
    I think people are born with a bent toward pessimism or optimism, and I doubt they will have much luck deliberately converting themselves to the oppositeBitter Crank
    Well, I haven't "deliberately" converted myself from one to the other, but it's just a fact that when I was a tad younger I was a lot more optimistic than I am today. I still act optimistically today, but deep inside I feel pessimistic. For example, even when I go to the gym, I don't have a "can-do" attitude. I'm like "oh man, I won't be able to finish my routine today", and I feel depressed inside. But I still do it in the end - like I don't give up, but I have to force myself to do it (which does take me a bit longer). After I finish it, I feel happy though. But I always start thinking I can't do it - and this exists in most areas of my life, including business/work.
  • BC
    Let me know how I can get or adopt said tumor.Posty McPostface
    I'll have somebody send it to you as soon as I am dead.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.