Sexism

1678910Next
  • Beebert
    Here in my country, we start to Believe that America is the greatest threat and problem in the world... How can americans, who belong to the most powerful country in the world, be so stupid and unintelligent as to vote for a maniac like Trump? Let us perhaps have a discussion about whether or not democracy is something to praise? Why not instead discuss whether or not ignorant egoists should be aloud to vote?
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

...in which case they wouldn't be hypocrites at all and your theory only has application in your wild imaginings.
  • Thorongil
    Could you please explain why HR people are to be laughed at and shunned?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Because they're in the business of brainwashing.
  • Agustino
    ...in which case they wouldn't be hypocrites at all and your theory only has application in your wild imaginings.TheWillowOfDarkness
    :s

Again. The argument is that they hate Trump in public, but love him in private. Is that hypocritical? Yes. There's NOTHING - ZERO - about any kind of assault here.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Because they're in the business of brainwashing.Thorongil

I am going to walk away believing you mean that in jest.
  • S
    Mongrel told BC to go fuck himself earlier in the thread, apparently in jest. That post is still up. If Agustino told someone to do the same, would you also leave it alone?Thorongil

@Mongrel

I only recently began reading this discussion, and when I noticed that comment, I raised the issue in the moderator forum. If it was in jest, then that wasn't clear to me. I took it to be flaming, and I have since deleted that part of the comment. Flaming is against the guidelines and will not be tolerated.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Then why are you making arguments like it is? What relevance does whether some women on TV denounces Trump's sexism, but still likes him, have to the question of harassment and assualt? Why you would suggest these women wanted to be subjected to actions as performed by Trump in his instances of harassment and assualt?
  • BlueBanana
    as always you aren't even trying to understand the other side.
  • Agustino
    The world pretends to hate men like Trump but actually loves them. The women on TV pretend they are disgusted by what Trump does to them. But secretly, they all desire it, and wish they were the ones. In the polls they pretend not to vote for Trump - but when they're alone, with themselves inside the booth, they cast their vote where their hearts are. It is good - they imagine - to pretend to morality but act immorally. We all knew, when we were speaking of morals, that it was merely speaking after all. When we hurt the other - we will retort by "I thought you'd be doing the same" - for we know that what we say is mere politics and nothing more. Indeed, we are surprised by those who expect us to keep our word - that person is really an Idiot for us. Suddenly the mask will go off, and our real face will show.Agustino
    Then why are you making arguments like it is? What relevance does whether some women on TV denounces Trump's sexism, but still likes him, have to the question of harassment and assualt? Why you would suggest these women wanted to be subjected to Trump's behaviour, as in these instances where he harassed and assaulted women.TheWillowOfDarkness
    Read the paragraph again. What is the first sentence? The world pretends to hate men like Trump but actually loves them.

The second sentence is an example of this. The women - ON TV - pretend to be disgusted at Trump (based on what he does to women). But secretly, they all desire it. In the polls they pretend not to vote for Trump - but when they're alone in the booth, they place their vote on him. Etc. All of them are contrasts of public vs private life. So no, there's no question of adopting the rapist theory or whatever of that sort.

The salient point of course is that these women in the example don't claim in private that they don't want to have sex with Trump. They only claim that in public, on TV, not behind closed doors.
  • Thorongil
    I am going to walk away believing you mean that in jest.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Believe what you like.
  • John Harris
    No ,that's You since you just came in to troll me. You're ignored for the thread.
  • 0 thru 9
    In matters that might be labeled "sexist", I would propose that the tone, manner, and attitude have as much as an effect- if not more- than any particular statements of potentially questionable nature. Of course in debate, objecting to an argument because of "tone" is an ad hominem fallacy. But matters like this seem to be beyond that particular debate definition. If someone has a very macho and brash style of writing or speaking, fairly or not, it could possibly strike some people as a sexist or chauvinist attitude, irregardless of any definite sexist statements. No one likes the "tone police", but tone will have an effect on the message written, and may color it very strongly.

In general (not picking on any particular person here): bossiness, argumentiveness, name-calling and labeling, swearing, nay-saying, pedantic comments, lecturing, going off-topic, self-righteousness, demanding others answer one's questions, etc. are "alpha male" type traits that wear out one's welcome. If the conversation were in person, things like shouting and being physically intimidating would fit this pattern. It absolutely doesn't NOT matter what the gender is of the person committing these errors. A woman could commit these behaviors just the same as men. Thankfully, no one person embodies all of these extreme, pushy, over-ripe qualities. I know i have erred similarly in my life, though I try to avoid that on this forum. But anyone is apt to be mistaken in judgment or in knowledge from time to time.
  • Beebert
    "The world pretends to hate men like Trump but actually loves them."

If someone here doesnt AT LEAST understand that there is some truth in this statement, I am beginning to be worried.
  • Buxtebuddha
    Better be worried then, Beebs.
  • Beebert
    Trump threatens Kim Jong-Un... Something might happen, it is all very exciting. There is no doubt that the majority feels this way. They perhaps dont want the war, but the prattle and babble before (That actually helps leading to catastrophy) almost all want... Who doesnt want to feel important in their "opinions"? Let us not deny it. People are complicated. They dont just want to evolve, have peace etc. They also want destruction.
1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.