• Rich
    I would not consider Dancing (Latin and Ballroom),or Tai Chi, as art, though there may be artistry in the performance.
    I do sculpture
    charleton

If course this is a matter of definition, but for me art is a manner of self-expression and dancing and Tai Chi would be every bit as artistic as any of the other arts.
  • Rich
    This is not speculation. You have not even yet established the meaning, ontology or validity of any claim for the existence of "soul".charleton

I have, you just want to continue denying it. Heck, I'm not here to convince you to drop your religious faith. Live as you wish. If you want to be a computer, go to it. Fine with me.
  • Michael Ossipoff

Rich is unable to disagree politely.

That's particularly inadvisable, for someone who believes that he's controlled by a disembodied, distributed, Rupert-Sheldrake holographic quantum Mind-repository.

Michael Ossipoff
  • prothero
    The "soul" is an imaginary concept much like a "unicorn".
    It is born of human hubris and hope for immortality much like religion.
    One cannot be absolutely certain about the existence of other realms or planes of existence but I think it is a big mistake to not treat this life as the only one you can be sure of.
  • Ryan
    I think that's a great point that the memories will live on. I don't know whether we have a soul or not but our greatest legacy that may live on for hundreds or thousands of years is our impact on others. The ideas, accomplishments and memories of the greats like Isaac Newton and Einstein among others will live on for a long time to come.

What does give me comfort is knowing that every moment is an eternal fixed point in space time and that every NOW is inline with another NOW in space time as discussed in the below vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrqmMoI0wks&index=30&list=PLB0EB1638F706BC49
  • CasKev
    @Rich
    But why wouldn't all memories be affected equally, if they are being channeled through the brain. Memory loss is often selective, leaving certain memories totally intact. I experienced this after undergoing ECT - certain memories were completely lost, while others remained.CasKev

The best that I can reply, is like a TV tuner, reception can be complete distorted (as in an advanced state of Alzheimer's or partially distorted. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It is my understanding that holography behaves in a similar manner. I have limited holographic knowledge so I might investigate your question further. It certainly deserves further thought and investigation.Rich

Did you get a chance to look into this yet? I feel like it is also relevant to your arguments in the discussion on Quantum Free Will vs Determinism, as they depend on non-local intelligence affecting choice.
  • Rich
    Exactly who do you think it's making choices for you?
  • CasKev
    I am saying we all make choices, but they are made by the biological brain, based on the memory and instinct contained therein. What I understand from your comments is that there exists a creative intelligence and continuance of memory that is separate from the human brain. I'm wondering if you've had a chance look into the obstacle I raised regarding memory, which counters your theory.
  • Rich
    I am saying we all make choices, but they are made by the biological brain, based on the memory and instinct contained therein.CasKev

Brain or mind? How does a brain morph into a mind?

No matter to me. So your brain is making choices. Fine. If there are choices, it's not determined and that's about that.
  • Mike Adams
    So you're a dualist?
  • Rich
    So you're a dualist?Mike Adams

No, it is a continuum from the least substantial to the more substantial in the same way that quantum -> electron -> atom -> molecule creates a continuum. It is not surprising at all (to me at least) that quantum entanglement is now being experimentally observed at the molecule level. It is all the same.

The problem with dualism it's that one has to show how to cross the chasm, so I rejected it a long time ago.
1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.