• TheMadFool
    This is a painting by Michiel van Musscher. It is titled as Portrait of a Lady with her dog and a maid

My question is: How many fingers do you see, including the lady and her maid, excluding the dog.

PLEASE LOOK CAREFULLY

Michiel_van_Musscher_Portrait_of_a_lady_with_her_dog_and_a_maid_1686.jpg

Thank you for your time.
  • Sir2u
    16 fingers and 3 thumbs.
    That will be $20 for the account of digits.
  • TheMadFool
    16 fingers and 3 thumbs.Sir2u

Can you look carefully at the maid's right hand. The finger(A) between the thumb and index finger is not right. If you zoom in you'll see that A doesn't align with the middle finger as it should.
  • Sir2u
    Can you look carefully at the maid's right hand. The finger(A) between the thumb and index finger is not right. If you zoom in you'll see that A doesn't align with the middle finger as it should.TheMadFool

That is not her finger.
    It is treat that she is trying to tempt the dog with.
  • TheMadFool
    That is not her finger.
    It is treat that she is trying to tempt the dog with.
    Sir2u

:-} it's a fine interpretation. I didn't think of that.

It looks like she's snapping her fingers to get the dog's attention AND why does the ''treat'' look like a finger? And she's not looking at the dog
  • Sir2u
    It looks like she's snapping her fingers to get the dog's attentionTheMadFool

With her middle finger?

why does the ''treat'' look like a finger? And she's not looking at the dogTheMadFool

Who knows, maybe it is!!!
  • TheMadFool
    With her middle finger?Sir2u

How else can we snap our fingers?
  • Sir2u
    How else can we snap our fingers?TheMadFool

I don't do it like that, I have both fingers together. Anyway nowadays I only use my middle finger for .............. I'll let you guess about that.
  • TheMadFool
    Who knows, maybe it is!!!Sir2u

If it's a finger it's either a mistake or deliberate.

It can't be a mistake because the rest of the painting is done in meticulous detail and anatomically correct.

So, it has to be deliberate.

Now, why would the painter paint an extra digit?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.